Thread: Complete game, 3-hitter, by Aaron Harang

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Complete game, 3-hitter, by Aaron Harang

Pirates or not (and those Pirates could swing the bat as they showed yesterday), Aaron Harang pitched one hell of a game and with me put aside any doubts whether he is back or not. He was extremely efficient today with his pitches, had total control of his pitches and the strikezone and looked like the Harang we knew from 2007 and late 2008. Plus nine strikeouts as well, hopefully leading the strong K/9 Harang has usually posted.

Great start by Harang and hopefully this will give this team some momentum.

Phillips two run homerun gave the Reds the offense they needed.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Complete game, 3-hitter, by Aaron Harang

14 innings with only ten hits and one earned run so far to start Harang's season. Let's hope Harang keeps pitching like our ace.

MLB ERA

During my preseason reading and research, I came across Harang's name a couple of times as a guy who might have a nice breakout/comeback year. After looking at some stats and predictions, I bought into it as well. Looks like he is off to a fantastic start to the season. I would really like to see him, and the rest of the Reds staff for that matter, to pitch up to their potential this year and make it a four team race in the Central. I love your young guys like Bruce and Votto, and some of the veteran players like Gonzalez and Hernandez. I think it's going to come down to how well the sophomores, especially Cueto, can pitch. I know a lot of people are high on Bailey to finally show what he can do, but the Reds need a solid and deep staff to have any chance. Here's to hoping they will.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Harang's numbers were a bit confusing last year since he technically did not have a "major" injury. But the numbers did trend down after his May San Diego extended relief session on short rest and eventually pick back up to a level he has been known for down the last 10 or 12 game stretch. When you add in a poor spring training, as he is truly a pitcher who does not care about his spring stats, a lot of people were on the fence with what he would do this year. At the very least, whether he pitches like he did in 2007 or not, I think at the end of the year we can say that his near 4.5+ ERA in 2008 was the exception and not the rule.

I do agree though, the sophmore slump could be a deciiding factor for this team as well as the Reds needing a few players to come through and surpass expectations, especially with the bat. Edwin Encarnacion has had huge potential but has not ever really reached what many expected from him with the bat or the glove, if he is able to bring consistency on both fronts, that will really help the dynamics of this team.

It was a great outing by Harang for sure. I've never seen such pitch efficiency with 9 ks to boot. He might be better than ever this year, as he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about how he did last season. As far as this team goes this year I think a lot of that depends on Edwin and Dickerson. So far Dickerson has been awesome, he always sees a lot of pitches and has been getting on base. The pitching will be fine I think if it is not abused, although it is really to early to make any assumptions.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think too that if Harang is pitching like the Harang we all want to see, that guys like Volquez and Cueto could pitch better as a lot of pressure will be off their shoulders to be leading the staff in performance.