Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Mets Series

Game Reds vs Mets Series

2-0 Mets, but Reds have 2 RISP with no one out.

Re: Reds vs Mets Series

Phillips with a sac fly, 2-1 Mets.

3 hits, terrific.

The Good:
    1) Harang looked like Harang. Had a lot of runners on base though.
    2) Coco looked sharp. Good to see after his awful spring.
    3) Phillips had a sac fly when it looked like he was going to k for sure.
    4) McDonald had one of the 3 hits!
    The Bad:
    1) There were only 3 hits.
    2) McDonald looked unsure of just about everything.
    3) Everyone was swinging for the fences, I've never seem so many guys swing out of their shoes.
    4) A lot of mental errors.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    3 hits, terrific.

The Good:
    The Bad:
    3) Everyone was swinging for the fences, I've never seem so many guys swing out of their shoes.
    I thought this was suppose to be about not swinging for the fences and playing "small ball" hence why we ripped out most of the HR power beyond Votto and Bruce and didnt replace it... I guess Duhhhsty will get to say it still isnt "his team". A lot of mental errors.. 2nd verse same as the first?

Bah oh well at least we play "defense" and were fast *rollseyes*.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

I think some of it may have been the one run score, and everyone wants to be the hero on opening day but it wasn't getting anyone anywhere. I never thought I would be this excited to see Taveras back in center field. McDonald misplayed about 4 fly balls today I think.

GET NOTICED.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Reds Re: Reds vs Mets Series

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    3 hits, terrific.

The Good:
    The Bad:
    Ya know, I found myself having a bit of an ahh hah moment while watching this game. The broadcasters (mind you I watched all 3 feeds from this game, only because I wanted to get perspective from everyone as I have found myself slightly jacked at how many people are talking about this years Reds team is a "Team to Watch" in the NL) kept saying how this was a different team then last year. No longer would the Reds have to sit around and wait for the 3 run homer like last year.....but then, I realized that last year while we were one of the leaders in homers we were one of the last place teams in batting average. Now, I do believe that Bruce will hit for better avg then last year, and perhaps Phillips. I am seeing much more team speed, but do we really see any more contact with this team.....and I am not just talking simply from today (Santana is a great pitcher), but really....Votto was our leading hitter last year with a .297 (or thereabouts) average. What exactly have we added to our lineup to make us think that our team average is going to go up much if at all? So, in retrospect....we might not be expecting a 3 run bomb all the time (although I do believe we have the potential to have 6 or 7 players hit 20+ homers), but can we really play small ball with this lineup? I am definitely liking how our defense will be improved (as long as McDonald doesn't play much more) and I definitely think we should expect better numbers from our pitching staff....but I still see this team as being 2-3 years away unless some of the young guys have dramatic avg increases and some of the vets have career years or close to it (which is possible in the GABP)

THOUGHTS????

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree bip. The fact is this lineup would look so much better with Bobby Abreu in LF and Chris Dickerson in CF (with Taveras as the LF/CF swingman, if he was still signed.) We're banking on a lot of guys having comeback years or breakout years, and that is not a comfortable position. Of course Votto could get better, Bruce could hit 35 homers, and Encarnacion could hit 30 homers with a ton of runs. Its not impossible, but it is asking for a lot. I will say this though, and God help me, I think a lot rests on Taveras's season. If he is able to hit .280+ with an OBP at least .050 points higher than his BA, that is going to jumpstart this lineup. He is nowhere near the player that Jose Reyes is, but watching Reyes in the first really gave me some hope for what Taveras could bring to this lineup. If he can work the count, get on base, and cause some disruption, everything from there on out is different.

For this lineup to be a success though, Phillips has to be able to hit RHP if he is to remain in the cleanup spot (another topic for another day) and we're going to need to see a lot of players amp their production up. The good thing is that the Reds do have talent in a lot of those spots, the question is if enough can step up to make an impact.

It was sad to watch the game as I really wanted to see a late innings push, but Cordero looking like what we expect him to do almost made up for it. I was getting really worried about him... with that contract especially.

Oh and Harang had some filthy movement today. He threw a lot of pitches, the ump really blew a few calls early on with him, but if he can pinpoint that kind of movement we might see a huge season from Harang. Anyone else notice that?

Some nice at bats to start the second game. Votto has already gone deep.

GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Pelf can't find the zone. The Reds hitters are looking patient. Hopefully Pelf can figure himself out...

Ya he has really been struggling to throw strikes. I think Edinson might have that same problem, I doubt he has pitched much in cold weather. This might be a pretty high scoring game.

GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Thanks to the nice catch by Murphy. Pelf has pitched in some cold weather, but for some reason he's never pitched well against the Reds...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Thanks to the nice catch by Murphy. Pelf has pitched in some cold weather, but for some reason he's never pitched well against the Reds...
    The lineup he faced tonight was 7-47 against him before the game if I heard correctly.

Oh and Joey Votto is going to be a star. What a sweet blast.

MLB ERA

Pelfrey is 1-1 with a 4.43 ERA in four career games versus the Reds. He earned a no-decision in his last start versus the Reds on July 18, allowing five runs on six hits and a walk, while striking out four over 7.0 IP

I can't imagine the lineup is that bad against him....the Reds beat him up last year.

Reds Re: Reds vs Mets Series

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Oh and Joey Votto is going to be a star. What a sweet blast.
    No kidding, watching him bat gives me goose bumps. His attitude and work ethic are awesome. My worst fear is trading him to open up a space for Alonso, which would be one of the worst trades for the franchise. Votto is a guy that we can sign and keep to build around, Alonso (assuming he does develope well) will be out of here chasing the dollar signs.

GET NOTICED.

Had Delgado looking silly that time around. Nice.

GET NOTICED.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast