Thread: Dusty Wants Sheffield

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reds Dusty Wants Sheffield

Reds manager Dusty Baker said he plans to meet with Gary Sheffield on Thursday.
    "We are going to talk," Reds GM Walt Jocketty confirmed. "Dusty talked with him [on Tuesday] night. The two have a history. We have to wait for him to clear waivers [Thursday], but we'll talk after that. We have interest because he is a legitimate big bat to add to our lineup." It'd be more than a little ironic if the Reds signed Sheffield to play left field after bragging about how much more athletic they are now with Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. gone. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad gamble to sign him, but it'd almost certainly lead to the Chris Dickerson/Jonny Gomes platoon being replaced when sending Willy Taveras to the bench would be the much better idea.
    Interesting to see what happens here. If the Reds do get Sheffield, I would just get rid of Gomes altogether. Sheffield is just as slow in the OF as Gomes.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dusty Wants Sheffield

Since when did Dusty and Sheffield have a history? Or is Jocketty assuming that Dusty knows all the "brothers"?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bonds and Sheffield used to workout together. Maybe that's how?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I know the new look Reds didn't need a big bat according to whatever spin they gave the media. Losing Dunn and Griffey was fine, and they never really needed a big bat, at least that is what they started to say when the economy turned south and Jocketty probably spent more than they would have liked before they could hit the brakes. So Abreu or whomever was out of the question to bolster the lineup.

The Reds right now have to be getting worried. They have had like 16 or 17 games with scoring three or less runs. This "manufactured" offense is appearing anemic right now. Who knows what Sheff has left in the tank, but I do think knowing his personality that if he has anything left it could shine again as I doubt he was too happy being released the way he was and one HR shy of 500. Having some veteran fire might be a great addition to the clubhouse. Sheff can't expect much so if he was signed, he could easily be released if it didn't work (which is why I wouldn't get rid of Gomes.) The only thing that bothers me would be that Chris Dickerson's playing time would be decreased, unless they had him split time in CF with Taveras.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If they do get Sheffield, Reds best be glad they have a guy like Baker to handle him and his attitude. Baker is a player's manager and guys love him. I don't see Dickerson's playing time being cut that short since Sheffield is a liability in OF. Maybe three starts a week or four with Dickerson playing CF like you suggested. Sheff in that ballpark can do some damage in a part time role.

I'm really on the fence about this. If Shef could return to 05, 06 or even 07 numbers it wouldn't be a bad signing. The only thing that concerns me is that its pretty obvious Dickerson is going to get the shaft here. He has had the most at bats this spring, and has still held his average over .300 with a great OBP and has proven he deserves a shot again this season.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Cincinnati Reds have an interest in free agent Gary Sheffield, but only if he'll accept a limited role.

Manager Dusty Baker says Thursday that he plans to talk to Sheffield, whom he has known for many years. Baker acknowledged that the 40-year-old outfielder would have to accept a limited role with the Reds, who are set in the outfield. Sheffield could pinch-hit and be a fill-in at first base and in the outfield with Cincinnati.

The Philadelphia Phillies are among the teams who have expressed an interest in Sheffield. The Detroit Tigers released him on Tuesday after he batted only .178 in spring training.

Rufus Williams, the agent for Sheffield, told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Wednesday that there are "a number of teams that are expressing interest."

"Gary is going to be able to play this season. He is going to be able to play a couple more seasons, at least," Williams said.

Philadelphia general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Tuesday that the Phillies had initial talks with Sheffield's camp, and he wanted to gauge whether the nine-time All-Star would be comfortable in a reserve role.

Asked if he knew for sure if Sheffield would have a starting position or would be a role player, Williams said: "I think no matter what happens, he'll have some opportunities."

"I think we'll see, we'll see how these things play out. We'll see if that is starting or coming off the bench."
    Gary Sheffield draws interest from Cincinnati Reds, in limited role - ESPN

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    If they do get Sheffield, Reds best be glad they have a guy like Baker to handle him and his attitude. Baker is a player's manager and guys love him. I don't see Dickerson's playing time being cut that short since Sheffield is a liability in OF. Maybe three starts a week or four with Dickerson playing CF like you suggested. Sheff in that ballpark can do some damage in a part time role.
    Baker did state that Dickerson has prove himself, earned his spot, etc, so I think you are right there. Sheff would be smart though to sign with the Reds, fielding ability aside, moving from Comerica to GAB will let him do the damage you speak of and that either will allow him to play his way to more regular time or get traded to a contender if the Reds fall out of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I'm really on the fence about this. If Shef could return to 05, 06 or even 07 numbers it wouldn't be a bad signing. The only thing that concerns me is that its pretty obvious Dickerson is going to get the shaft here. He has had the most at bats this spring, and has still held his average over .300 with a great OBP and has proven he deserves a shot again this season.
    Baker put that worry to ease. I think Baker wants to win and whether I agree with his moves all the time or not, he does want that. If Taveras can't cut it but Sheffield can, I could see Sheff in LF and Dickerson in CF with Taveras used to give ample rest to Sheff and as a late innings defensive replacement.

I am hoping though, since Dickerson bulked up over the winter, that he might surprise us with some more power though. Making a low risk signing like Sheff would be a worthy gamble, but I am hoping our lineup can surprise because it hasn't looked pretty at times this spring.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Latest word is that the Reds have had phone conversations with Sheff and offered a platoon spot in LF. They said guys like Votto and Dickerson have earned their spots, so I guess he might also get a few AB's at 1st when Votto gets a break. A few teams are in the mix and Sheff is willing to sign for minimum basically.

He might not land here, but with those kind of demands, I'd really hope the Reds will get the chance as the risk would not hurt.