Thread: Angels try to dump Gary Matthews the 2nd on the Reds

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor Angels try to dump Gary Matthews the 2nd on the Reds

per Rosenthal:
    The Angels recently tried to sell the Reds on outfielder Gary Matthews Jr., but the talks failed to progress, according to major-league sources.

The Reds need a right-handed bat, and Matthews is a switch-hitter. But the Reds, one source said, wanted a starting pitcher back if they were going to include a veteran starter such as right-hander Aaron Harang or Bronson Arroyo in the deal. The impetus for the trade was "one-sided," another source said, saying the Angels were far more eager than the Reds to pursue further discussions.

The contracts actually match up well — Matthews is owed $33 million over the next three seasons, while Harang will earn $36.20 million and Arroyo $31.5 million over that period, respectively, including club options for 2011.

The Reds, however, have little interest in compromising their rotation depth to obtain Matthews. They are committed to Willy Taveras in center for the next two seasons and comfortable with Chris Dickerson getting most of the at-bats in left.

The Yankees and White Sox, two other clubs that represent a potential fit for Matthews, are instead going with younger players in center.

The Mariners possibly could obtain Matthews for one of their expensive starting pitchers — Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn or Miguel Batista — but there is no indication that such talks have taken place.

"We haven't had much discussions with respect to trades and trade possibilities," Angels general manager Tony Reagins told FOXSports.com on Monday.
    REALLY Angels? You believe the Reds would trade for A 34 year old Gary Matthews Jr. coming back from offseason knee surgery and will turn 35 in August after posting a .675 OPS? Stop me if I listed all of his great selling points, but let's not forget the massive contract that you gave him for a reason that only God knows. And for that they would want to trade a durable 200+ innings arm like Arroyo or Harang who had a poor 2008 season but was among the leagues best in 2006 and 2007?

I find it literally hilarious that the Angels actually believe Matthews has value and that a team would trade an asset to get a very likely liablity or at best a mediocre OF like he has been for ALMOST his entire career.

MLB ERA

Re: Angels try to dump Gary Matthews the 2nd on the Reds

They knew Dusty loves the brothers.

MLB ERA

Re: Angels try to dump Gary Matthews the 2nd on the Reds

Angels looked at the "projected" starting outfield and saw Tavares and thought holy crap a CF worse than Matthews? Called up and maybe thougth/hoped we'd be blinded by Owings and Bailey's spring be willing to part with Harang or Arroyo? Those are the only two i can come up with as to why they thought Matthews had value.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes