Thread: Jocketty comments on the Harang rumors

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor Jocketty comments on the Harang rumors

Gammons does obviously throw out some rumors that probably aren't the best sourced or have the most accuracy, but I wouldn't expect Jocketty to come out and confirm it either. I still think any high salaried player will be considered if they fall out of the race, but I don't think they'll be doing it this early.
    Talking to Jocketty
    Posted by JohnFay at 3/23/2009 1:07 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty laughed off a report by ESPN'S Peter Gammons that on the Reds and Aaron Harang. Gammons wrote:

The Reds have let teams know that they will wait and see whether they need to move Aaron Harang during the season. Harang is scheduled to make $12.5 million next season and $12.75 million with a $2 million buyout for 2011. After going 34-23 with a 3.68 ERA from the start of the 2006 season until he made his four-inning relief stint on two days' rest on May 15, 2008, he went 4-11, 5.88. "Aaron's been OK this spring, because he battles so hard," one scout said. "But the life on the ball he runs in on left-handed batters isn't the same."

"I'm not going to comment on something when he doesn't know what he's talking about," Jocketty said.

Assistant GM Bob Miller added, "Did he give a date and name the teams?"
    Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati Cincinnati Reds | Cincinnati.Com

MLB ERA

Re: Jocketty comments on the Harang rumors

Attacking Peter Gammons is probably not the smartest idea, the guy doesn't report something if it wasn't true
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

I've always thought it was the opposite, hardly anything Gammons says has much momentum it seems.

Trading Harang with his stock this far down would be awful. Not to mention with this market and his previous season the return would be nil.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Trading Harang with his stock this far down would be awful. Not to mention with this market and his previous season the return would be nil.
    That is my view too. Trading Arroyo is one thing, his performance is not likely to vastly improve too much; he is what he is. If Harang bounces back, his value skyrockets. And even if he doesn't, I can't see him getting any worse (which I don't think is that great of a possibility anyway.)