Thread: Does Masset's bad spring keep him off the roster?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Does Masset's bad spring keep him off the roster?

He is out of options, so we either put him on the 25 man roster or risk losing him on waivers.

His spring has been bad, especially when comparing him to some of the other pitchers competing for the 5th rotation spot (Owings and Bailey.) After coming over from Chicago in the Griffey deal, he had quite a nice stint in the bullpen posting a 2.08 ERA in 17.1 innings, he did however give up three homeruns as he was pretty hittable. The ERA may have been deceiving as it was such a limited affair and his other statistics do not really support an ERA like that.

This spring he has been even more hittable, 17 hits in 10.2 innings. Has already given up 2 homers in those limited innings. And has a 6.75 ERA compared to Bailey's .90 and Owings 1.23 (both whom have statistics that would show dominance.)

I think barring something big, the 5th spot is Owings. So I think due to the options and the lack of a rotation spot, Bailey goes to AAA to start and refine his stuff until a spot opens up in the rotation, and Masset wins the long man spot by default.

Thoughts?

Re: Does Masset's bad spring keep him off the roster?

I'd agree 100%. I'd still give Masset a shot at the long man despite his bad numbers so far. If Owings starts to break down a bit and Bailey dominates from here on out (very doubtful) I don't know where Masset would end up. How do you feel about Bailey ending up in the bullpen at somepoint this season, Mission?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.