Thread: Bailey impressive in first start of the spring

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Bailey impressive in first start of the spring

Bailey worked on his mechanics in the offseason and it finally sounds like he is developing his secondary arsenal to compliment his fastball, sort of like we saw late last year. Baker commented that his breaking stuff has improved. He seems to be more confident and mature as well. One of his biggest problems in the past was finding the put away pitch, often either walking the batter or giving him something fat to hit once the count was completely worked around. It would be so outstanding if Bailey could breakout this season and have a season similar to what we saw with Cueto last year, some highs and some lows but an obvious showing of future dominance to come.

So far Bailey's early early early line for the spring is 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, and 6 K's.
    BRADENTON, Fla. -- Homer Bailey isn't just a pitcher who has made some improvements following a really rough season. The young Reds right-hander has clearly used his time to do some soul searching too.

In 2008, Bailey was 0-6 with a 7.93 ERA in eight starts. He then went 4-7 with a 4.77 ERA in 19 starts for Triple-A Louisville and endured a long 21-start drought without a victory between the Majors and Minors.

"When you go through a year like that last year, you can't help but have a few things knocked inside your head," Bailey said on Monday. "I guess I was able to look back and really think about it a lot more and realize some of the mistakes I made."

Clearly focused on trying to win the rotation's fifth spot this spring, Bailey has only helped himself through his first two outings. In Monday's game vs. the Pirates, he made his first start and he pitched three scoreless innings with one hit, one walk and four strikeouts. A total of 45 pitches were thrown. The Reds went on to lose, 2-1.

Bailey's game started with two strikeouts, including Freddy Sanchez, who was caught looking at a fastball away. In the second inning, after a leadoff single, Bailey induced Brandon Moss into a one-pitch 4-6-3 double play. The side was retired in order in the third.

"Homer was outstanding," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Bailey's start. "He's come a long way in a short period of time."
    Click here to read the rest.

Re: Bailey impressive in first start of the spring

I'm pretty pumped about this, even if it only is 4 innings. He seems to be a lot more receptive to instruction, and motivated. He could be a huge lift if his potential was just somewhat tapped, and allow us to possibly trade a package with Arroyo for the bat we still need.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I really think we should keep Arroyo if we somehow compete. He's a rubber arm kind of guy and we really might need decent innings this year as Cueto is getting way more work in than he has throughout his minor league career so there is an injury risk there.

Of course if Bailey and Owings are pitching great and we can get a power bat for the lineup, that's a different story. Cueto getting injured due to being stretched out too much (for his frame) or hitting a sophomore slump is concerning for me though.

Ya, it would require a good boost from Owens and Bailey. Arroyo would be my first choice in SP to move if the situation does call for it with his age and contract. This team has a lot of interesting things happening this year, they could be pretty decent or awful. It should be fun to watch either way, hah.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Baily went four innings today, gave up six hits (all but one was a single I think), one run and didn't walk any. I am not concerned about that too much since he obviously wasn't slammed, but its great to see him with his control in check. If he has his control, he is on track for sure.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep good to see his biggest foe may be behind him. I am a bit worried with the amount of hits he gives up still though. Many who have faced him have said his fastball is very straight. Has anyone heard what his velocity looks like these days?

Nonetheless, this is still intriguing news.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Also on the Cueto note (and I could add Volquez in this situation); I am very nevous about their arms this year. They are going at full force right now. And the big thing is, remember Cueto pitched winter ball after the 2007 season. That still may have lingering effects down the road. Cueto is the main guy I am worried about this year, but Volquez as well. I guess, there is no better time than now to get the injury bug past us though. We do have depth with Owings, Bailey, Ramirez, Thompson, Maloney etc.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Yep good to see his biggest foe may be behind him. I am a bit worried with the amount of hits he gives up still though. Many who have faced him have said his fastball is very straight. Has anyone heard what his velocity looks like these days?

Nonetheless, this is still intriguing news.
    Marty said in his last outing, not today's (I wasn't listening), that his velocity was looking fine. I would normally be more concerned with the hits too but since they were mostly singles, I wouldn't put too much into that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Also on the Cueto note (and I could add Volquez in this situation); I am very nevous about their arms this year. They are going at full force right now. And the big thing is, remember Cueto pitched winter ball after the 2007 season. That still may have lingering effects down the road. Cueto is the main guy I am worried about this year, but Volquez as well. I guess, there is no better time than now to get the injury bug past us though. We do have depth with Owings, Bailey, Ramirez, Thompson, Maloney etc.
    The good news with the WBC is that at least Volquez will be limited in his pitches, the Reds have him on a strict 60 pitch count over there supposedly.

I really hope the Reds take it slow with Cueto this year and let him build more endurance over this year for next.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Good to see the DR lost today. Only could bode well for our arms to come back to the Reds asap.