Thread: Players not surprised by changes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Players not surprised by changes

Players not surprised by changes
    Some feel regret for not getting it done on the field
    CINCINNATI -- Shock? No. Relief? No. Encouragement? Eh, maybe.

The news that Dave Miley had been dismissed as manager of the Reds certainly brought out feelings of regret among the players in the clubhouse Tuesday.

But no one was completely surprised, given their knowledge of the business of big league baseball. By the same token, no one seemed to be sold on the fact that this is the move that will suddenly turn around their 27-43 season.

"Sometimes when you see a team change managers, it can go one way or the other way," first baseman Sean Casey said. "Maybe it'll be a wakeup call for us to go out there and get it done. Maybe. I don't know. We are where we are. We've got 25 guys together who are big league ballplayers, and we should be able to get it done."

The team wasn't getting it done under Miley, as it sunk to a season-high 16 games under .500 and 18 1/2 games back of the Cardinals in the National League Central.

The consensus seemed to be that Miley had his players' respect. But the results indicate he didn't always have their attention.

"I've played with some managers who are great communicators and others who weren't," Rich Aurilia said. "I just think [in Miley's case] that it may have helped if there was a little more communication, if some guys knew what their roles were. The game's changed from 20 years ago, in a sense that you're more of a manager, in my opinion, of personalities and people than the game.

"There's only a certain number of decisions that can be made in a game that determine the outcome. But in a clubhouse of 25 different personalities and people, it helps to get to know the guys, what they like and dislike. It helps to get to know, 'Hey, how many kids you got?'"

Still, the Reds weren't going to blame Miley for their misfortune. And they weren't going to ridicule or second-guess him, either.
    Click here for the rest

While I don't really agree that managers need to know players THAT well, they do need to know what makes players tick, and what players excel at and don't excel at. In my opinion, Miley was far too laid-back, to the point that he knew none of the above things about the players. That shows up in his lineups he made out. If you know your players, you will know how and where they play best, and it will show in the decisions you make. In a nutshell, I think that both Miley and Gullet were just tagging along for the ride into the sunset, dreaming of farming and retirement. That's not the mentality that winning teams and managers possess. I know that a lot here and at other sites don't like Aurilia, that he seems to be all mouth and no action. Personally, I think he's an average-at-best player, but that he would make a hell of a manager, coach, scout, and what-not. Does the guy have a Psychology degree or something? He clearly understands the makeup of people.

i hate Aurilia and blame him directly for a lot of the problems this season... but i did like what he said about communication, it was clearly Miley's downfall. All of the stuff done in the night, taking people out and not telling them why, that's what messed this team up in terms of chemistry and cohesiveness.

Is that all that's wrong with this team? I guess we'll find out. Smart money says no.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I don't know why they wouldn't expect it. Hell, I'm surprised it didn't come sooner.

Have to agree that Miley's approach didn't make sense at all. One night a guy plays, the next night he doesn't and he doesn't find out until he gets to the ballpark to see the lineup. Noone can get into any type of groove with conditions like that. I just say stick with your best players and put them out there. An occasional fill-in for rest is alright but don't juggle the lineup like a circus act and expect it to work.

AA ERA
    It was pretty clear from reading that article today that most of the players did not seem to care about Miley and some were happy to see him gone. It was that bad, eh.

MLB ERA
    Griffey and others feel for Miley and felt he deserves another chance, so I wouldn't quite say that's true.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    While he might deserve another chance, to me it didnt seem that he had the respect of the locker room as a whole. When you dont have that, its hard to be a good manager whoever you are.

MLB ERA
    I think that has been overstated, especially after reading John Fay's recent comments, which have seemed to confirm many of the things I said at the beginning of the season.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    While he might deserve another chance, to me it didnt seem that he had the respect of the locker room as a whole. When you dont have that, its hard to be a good manager whoever you are.
    I think that he lost respect once DanO forced him into doing things that he was not wanting to do. Once it got old, I bet Miley spoke up and was not willing to do these things any longer (starting Aurilia for one.) Thats when the firings came. Just my thoughts.

I hate DanO and Allen so much.

i'm not saying DanO is good, but we don't know that he told miley to do anything. Miley said that the lineups were his responsibility, and if he's willing to lie about it to the fans then it's as much his fault as anybody's.
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I only remember DanO saying that it was Miley's responsibility. Maybe I am wrong though.

MLB ERA
    Miley might have agreed to play players he shouldn't have, but I think it was originally O'Brien's mandate.

that's just speculation though, i'll find the article where miley says the lineups were his.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Obviously he's not going to say he was forced into making any particular lineup, but I have very good reasons to believe he was.