Thread: Reds re-sign Jerry Hairston (1 year, 2 million dollars)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Reds re-sign Jerry Hairston (1 year, 2 million dollars)

Not a bad deal at all for Hairston, especially since it's for one year. Obviously expect for his numbers to fall off some, but if healthy, he should be reasonably productive. However, I am scared that we can say welcome to leftfield Mr. Hairston.
    Free agent Jerry Hairston Jr. is returning to the Reds. A baseball source told MLB.com that Hairston and the club agreed to terms on a one-year contract worth a guaranteed $2 million on Tuesday. It's an incentive laden deal that could be worth up to $4 million.

An announcement is expected on Wednesday. The Royals and Cardinals were the other teams competing for Hairston's services.

It appears that Cincinnati plans to make Hairston its starting shortstop this season because Alex Gonzalez won't be ready.

--- Mark Sheldon
    Hot Stove Blog: Hairston returning to Reds

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Reds re-sign Jerry Hairston (1 year, 2 million dollars)

Oh and I know the article says to expect him at shortstop, but I am scared the logic is to play him at SS until Gonzo is ready and then move him to left (which would have Dickerson/Scrub sharing time til then.)

I hope I am wrong though.

MLB ERA

Now I REALLY wish we hadnt wasted our time and money on Tavares. 2 mil isnt a bad risk for 1 year of a guy who can play 2b, lf, cf, and ss in a pinch. Can produce with the bat, fast, take a walk, is good for more than just bunt hits. Put Dickerson/someone in CF and Hairston/someone in LF and see what happens. Unfortunately I awake from my dream and we still have the new whipping boy Willy Tavares to run out there and watch him flop.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hairston had his first good year last year. Lets not blow our wad here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Hairston had his first good year last year. Lets not blow our wad here.
    I dont think anyone thats wrote yet sees this as anything more as a plan b ss and a platoon guy.

After seeing our other moves (when it comes to everyday players past couple years) this is a pleasant reminder that the Reds FO isnt completely crazy for me. Hairston hopefully is the roaming starter playing 3-4 times a week at most giving people a day off, starting (if he's hitting well), or coming into games as a strategic speed utility guy.

I'd be more pleased to find out the reds get Dye for a song (not including anyone of any major value) or go for the Grand Slam or bring Manny in (with some protection in the contract to "keep him motivated") and market the crap out of him.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am happy to have Hairston back for sure, not a bad price either. Good to see it is only a 1 year deal to see if last year was a bigtime fluke as well.

Also, with the talk about his being our SS, I truly hope this means they are shopping for that big bat in LF.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hairston starting 3-4 a week is too many ABs for him. He's not that good. He's a good bench player but definitely not a starter and this should have not make you feel any different about the Taveras signing.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Its for a heck of a lot less money. So if he is as bad as his career numbers suggest, it wasn't a huge investment. Taveras' contract isn't exactly huge either, but much more than anyone would have expected.

I really think there wasn't competition going after Taveras, so the one offer that he got was likely larger than he and his agent expected. There was competition for Hairston, and I think the Reds simply offered in the same range as the two other teams did. Just keeping the dollars a bit higher than the rest. In other words, there was a market for Hairston, and it was a cheap one. There wasn't a market for Taveras and the Reds made it more expensive than it should have been.

Just my thoughts...

EDIT: Then again, they likely based it off of what he would have gotten in arbitration anyway. So I am way off I guess.