Thread: MLBN: Reds Discussion

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Media MLBN: Reds Discussion

So, for the first time from this network, I heard some Reds discussion. The Hot Stove had a little segment posing three panelists as GMs for three MLB teams. They said they chose the three teams with little movement this offseason. Seemed like it was a bash at these three teams as if they are really going nowhere.

So Magrane had the Reds. The rule was, you have to choose two pitchers you would want to go after to change this team. Magrane said he would trade Harang and Arroyo. Ok, if you trade these two guys, you better get a lot in return. He didn't say who would be coming back, but I am sure it would have been something nice. Anyhow, the guys he decided to replace our numbers 2 and 3 starters were non other than John Garland and Randy Wolf. Decent numbers for both of these guys, but are they an upgrade at all? Especially talking about replacing Harang? Harang has had one bad year. And much of that has been attributed to Dusty misuse of him. Thankfully, the feeling on Harang from the guys that matter is that he will bounce back.

The only reason I mention this, is I am very excited about this new network. But just saw a major flaw in that segment. Why not do it right? Why could they only go after pitching? If I were Magrane, I would have said that I would have done nothing at all with the pitching. The team has way more pressing issues.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: MLBN: Reds Discussion

I saw the segment, it didn't make sense to me. It seemed to be of the only logic that "Hey, Cincy has some young arms in the rotation so let's trade the vets." More curious than that though is the fact trading Harang makes ZERO sense right now considering that any trade will result in the receiving team getting him on the cheap. Harang's stat trend from 2005-2007 is something I would count on much more so than his 2008 stats, especially when you see that his last 11 starts would agree with his previous numbers of 2006-2007 level.