Thread: Would you sign Dunn to a 2 year - 20 million dollar deal?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Would you sign Dunn to a 2 year - 20 million dollar deal?

Burrell and Dunn are often lumped together in the same class of players when it comes to their bats, ie low average, plus OBP, plus power. Burrell is the better defender, Dunn is younger, they bat from opposite sides and Dunn is probably the bigger impact bat... that aside, pretty similar. Given the market for Burrell though and the deal he just signed (2 years, 16 million), let's assume that Dunn would go for a similar deal at a slightly higher dollar amount given that he is a younger guy, would you sign him if you were Jocketty?

I figure that one of two things could happen with Dunn. First, the market might get a bit nervous as there is one less big OF bat left and will jump at the chance to offer Dunn a deal they might have once thought he would have balked at but might now reconsider with Burrell signing cheaply. Or, the market might continue to ignore Dunn as dollars are being tightly kept by MOST organizations and with Burrell, you had a player who did at least hit .250 and is coming from the World Series winner, neither of which Dunn could say. Basically, the market would indicate that Burrell got what he deserved in this current economic climate but Dunn does not meet the threshold he set and instead teams would look at other options that would likely not split the fanbase as much (Abreu, Wiggington, etc.)

Eitherway, Burrell signed on the cheap and Bradley signed to what about was expected. If the Reds could bring in Dunn on a two year deal, allowing Alonso time to develop, I don't see how it could be a bad idea. If they feel that badly about his defense (a complete separate point that coud be argued here), bring him on for 1st and transition Votto to LF as he will have to move there eventually for Alonso.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Would you sign Dunn to a 2 year - 20 million dollar deal?

Yes especially since he won't cost a draft pick. He turned down a two year offer earlier from the Dbacks. But as I have said many times, the Reds haven't won with him.

MLB ERA

If you could get him for Burrell $ and he wants to come back. Yes

My only concern is the Reds are too entrenched with old school methodology that they would continue to lump him in a category he doesnt fit and continue to waste his production.

You bring Dunn back you know what he is. He isnt a pure 4-5 hitter, if we had someone with a bit of ingenuity maybe try something (Yes Im using a bit of Duhhsty to try and temper the lineup a bit.... cant have too many lefties hitting back to back):

CF Tavares/Dickerson
    LF Dunn
    1b Votto
    3b EE / 2b Phillips (hot bat and matchup)
    RF Bruce
    2b Phillips/ 3b EE
    SS Gonzo/Kepp
    Ca Hernandez/Hanigan.

If you want to get really creative...

Tavares/Dickerson
    Dunn
    Votto
    Bruce
    EE/Phillips
    Phillips/EE
    Hanigan/Hernandez
    Pitcher
    Kepp/ Gonzalez

Unfortunately if we signed Dunn Back Duhhhsty will go back to being Duhhhsty

1 Tavares (No Dickerson) CF
    2 AGon/Kepp SS
    3 Votto 1b
    4 Phillips 2b (regardless of how inept he looks vs RHP)
    5 Bruce RF
    6 EE 3b
    7 Dunn LF
    8 Hernandez (Hanigan being 1 start a week) Ca

And wasting a good chunk of Dunn's production via the walk. Also if AGon is back at ss you can count on a large portion of the games where Votto is stepping up to face a pitcher with no one on and seen about 4 pitches total.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I would go after Dunn for sure, but I fear the Reds are over him. I feel we really didn't get a whole lot when trading him. In which case makes you wonder why they traded him at all. The only explanation I can find is that they wanted to get past the Dunn era.

But lets look at what could happen in the long run. Two clubs just signed two outfielders which eliminates two teams seeking the same big bat we are. So now Jocketty has to look at who is left to fill the LF hole, then look at how many teams are left looking for a corner outfield bat. Finally, Jocketty has to figure out whether the right handedness is more improtant than bringing in a guy who can give us run production.

Who is left? (resons Jocketty doesn't like them)

Alou (aging)
    Anderson (lefty,aging)
    Abreu (lefty, too expensive)
    Baldelli (high risk)
    Dunn (lefty)
    Dye (via trade)
    Edmonds (sucks)
    Encarnacion (sucks)
    Gomes (sucks)
    Griffey (they are done messing with him)
    Hairston (not a run producer)
    Hinske (lefty, not a big run producer type)
    Jones (sucks)
    Monroe (sucks)
    Man Ram (too expensive)
    Wigginton (Is he enough production?)
    Wilkerson (lefty, sucks)

our competition?

Red Sox (looking for a 4th outfielder;possible interest in Baldelli)
    Angels (need a lefty big bat; deny interest in big outfield names like Abreu and Man Ram)
    White Sox (shown interest in Abreu)
    A's (have interest in Abreu and Anderson)
    Mariners (need a thumper, may go after Griffey)
    Braves (looking at the trade market)
    Dodgers (still want Manny back, have lots of holes to fill still)
    Giants (have interest in Man Ram)
    Nationals (even though they already have 100 OFs; possible Dunn interest)

So needless to say, there are lots of names left, but there is a lot of clubs competing for those names still as well. I honestly hope Jocketty does not get to sign Hairston Jr. If he does come here, Jocketty may look to sign a no name outfielder to fill a roster spot and call it an offseason.

The bullpen and catcher needs have been filled. But the biggest need has yet to be answered. So to answer the lead off question, is Adam Dunn worth signing? Absolutely. Hopefully many players move to other teams and Dunn becomes the obvious option for us.

MLB ERA

of that list you mentioned Redsr that I would touch with a 10 ft pole are Dunn, ponying up and figuring out some way to bring in Manny (with wording to protect if he "quits"), and Baldelli. They are the only 3 who actually dont scare the ever living crap out of me. Baldelli is a ? but at worst he gives you a guy you can run out there couple days a week and can play all 3 of spots in a pinch. Unfortunately I cant shake the feeling were just going "old school" signing Hairston to way too much and way too many years (just like Tavares) and calling it an offseason.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    of that list you mentioned Redsr that I would touch with a 10 ft pole are Dunn, ponying up and figuring out some way to bring in Manny (with wording to protect if he "quits"), and Baldelli. They are the only 3 who actually dont scare the ever living crap out of me. Baldelli is a ? but at worst he gives you a guy you can run out there couple days a week and can play all 3 of spots in a pinch. Unfortunately I cant shake the feeling were just going "old school" signing Hairston to way too much and way too many years (just like Tavares) and calling it an offseason.
    Baldelli is a fine signing... as the 4th OF. I had no problem bringing him in, letting him share time with Dickerson and hoping that his talent (and health) would emerge victorious and we would have another Hamilton/Guillen/etc. And obviously then signing a true known commodity for LF to be counted on for the heap of runs we're losing with Dunn gone. However, with Taveras, if we sign him it would seem likely to assume to be a starting role or a shared role with someone else.

Burrell was supposedly way out of our price range. I really don't know what Jocketty expects to spend for a big run producer, but if 8 million is scary, I am scared to see what he'll come up with. Sadly, I think instead of making one true impact signing, we'll spend a similar amount (on a per year basis) on a bunch of question marks, like Taveras-Hairston-Baldelli.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

just curious, is this mere fantasy/speculation or is there a rumor of the Reds going after him? I can't find anything saying they are.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Nah, the Reds haven't had any talks with Dunn at all. This is just a dream we share. I guess we could take the A's off that list now as well as they signed Giambi and likely aren't looking for more.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And I highly doubt the Reds will go after him or even consider it. I would be absolutely shocked if we even hear the Reds being mentioned in connection to him by a credible source.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Also I believe Dunn would not be interested in the least bit. I seriously see him going to the Nats to rekindle with Kearns, or to the BoSox.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

With guys like Arroyo and Marty B, if I was Dunn, I know I wouldn't want to come back.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah they talk a lot of garbage about Dunn and those are guys that just don't respect run production like they should. Then again, neither does Dusty as Slyder pointed out. OBP doesn't fit with this team because it isn't the team's philosophy. It never has been. Even when the majority of the fans know how important it is to creating runs if used correctly. In other words, you can't have a guy that walks 100 times a year being protected by a guy that hits below the mendoza line.

Anyhow, if not Dunn, then who? Like I said before, I know Hairston is the closest to a possibility. But if we don't get him, Jocketty is going to have to do something. And most of the rest of the options are more expensive than Hairston. And I know if Jocketty were given no choice but to have to spend money to land more outfield depth, that he would decide to go with someone who could help the team versus someone who flat out stinks.

And the worry about Jocketty not getting Burrell scared me at first. Until I read his comments and got the feeling that he was caught off guard on the signing. I am pretty sure Jocketty offered more than that. I feel this is yet another situation where a player does not want to play for the Reds.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dusty has been there one year!! Got to cut him some slack.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am just speaking of what he did in that one year. Dunn wasn't placed in the part of the lineup that would have allowed the casual fan to see his value. Dunn wasn't used appropriately. Only one manager had the lineup construction right for the Dunn/Griffey era. That manager was only interim, and was perhaps the best we've had in a long time.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Baldelli is going to the BoSox, count him off that list now too.