Thread: Reds sign LHRP Arthur Rhodes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Reds sign LHRP Arthur Rhodes

Per Ken Rosenthal:
    12:01 p.m. — Reds close to signing Rhodes
    The Reds have reached a preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander Arthur Rhodes to a two-year, $4 million contract. The deal is pending a physical, which the 39-year-old Rhodes will take Friday.

Rhodes appeared in 61 games last season — 36 for the Mariners, 25 for the Marlins — and had a combined record of 4-1 with a 2.04 ERA.
    I guess Jocketty felt the team was looking a bit too young.

As for the deal, I am not crazy about it as there were better options out there still, like Reyes. I also would have preferred it to be only a one year deal, but Rhodes is still striking out guys and if his health holds up..... it should be ok. I just hope we don't run into the situation of running out old guys past their prime when they are getting torched and refusing to release them and promote some of the promising young bullpen arms that will likely be in AAA as a result.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reds Rhodes, Reds Nearing Two Year Deal

The Reds have reached a preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander Arthur Rhodes to a two-year, $4 million contract. The deal is pending a physical, which the 39-year-old Rhodes will take Friday.

Rhodes appeared in 61 games last season — 36 for the Mariners, 25 for the Marlins — and had a combined record of 4-1 with a 2.04 ERA.
    Weathers and Rhodes have to be one of the oldest pair of setup men in MLB history. Rhodes did have a good year last year and gives another indication the Reds are planning to win next year. The Jermaine Dye talks are still rumbling around but nothing heavy yet.

MLB ERA

Re: Reds sign LHRP Arthur Rhodes

I have no problem with this deal, I actually like it. If he repeats his performance of last year our pen shouldnt be anything but a strength this year. Doesnt cancel out my hatred of trading for Hernandez but its a solid move.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Unlike many of the old guys we sign for the pen, Rhodes still has pretty good stuff. If he stays healthy, I don't see the signing becoming a problem. I just know that he has had issues before and with his age, that does make me a bit nervous. If he pitches like he has recently, I am totally cool with it of course, especially at the price.

Rhodes is still a pretty quality pitcher, especially with only a 2 mil price tag. Good low risk pick up to bolster the bullpen. Jock has been doing good work, IMO.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

the only reason I can think of the price being so low is because he is a major question mark on whether he can be healthy this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets hurt during ST before the regular season starts. But, it is a high risk decent reward. I'll take it. But like mission said, Reyes and Beimel are better options.