Thread: Fay: Reds interested in Baldelli and Rivera; Will talk to Burrell

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

News Fay: Reds interested in Baldelli and Rivera; Will talk to Burrell

Reds have talked to agent for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/10/2008 8:12 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

In the quest for a right-handed hitting outfielder, the Reds have talked to representatives for free agents Rocco Baldelli and Juan Rivera.

The significant news: They plan to talk to Pat Burrell's representatives as well.

"They called us," Walt Jocketty said.

The Reds have not talked to any left-handed-hitting, free agent outfielders.

Burrell is one of the big dollar free agents on the market -- probably too expensive for the Reds -- but there's been little movement overall in free agency so prices could drop.

Baldelli is intriguing. He's only 26. He was budding star at 21, hitting .289 with 11 home runs and 78 RBI for Tampa Bay. But he struggled with injuries -- knee, elbow, hamstring -- after that.

He then came down with a mitochondrial disorder, a condition that slows muscle recovery and causes severe fatigue. He missed the first 116 games of the season of 2008 season. Baldelli made his way back to the majors on Aug. 11. He hit .263 in 28 games with four home runs and 13 RBIs for the Rays in 2008.

There are still questions on how much he can play.

Rivera, 29, hit .246 with 12 home runs and 45 RBI in 256 at-bats for Anaheim.
    Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati Cincinnati Reds | Cincinnati.Com

MLB ERA

Re: Fay: Reds interested in Baldelli and Rivera; Will talk to Burrell

Honestly Baldelli and Rivera I wouldnt mind either both still have youth on their side and both have some speed. But I want no part of Burrell, everywhere you turn around Dunn was bashed (rightfully/wrongfully) for being what he was and having his flaws. Burrell is a few more hits and a few walks from being Dunn's twin from the other side of the plate. I dont want to hear for another 3-5 years the stuff we've heard for the past 3-5 years. He's also 32 now, which if you think Dunn's not going to age well then Burrell sure as heck isnt going to last.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Fay: Reds interested in Baldelli and Rivera; Will talk to Burrell

I like to think that Dye is the absolute best option. Makes me still wish Holliday was around. I know its crazy, but why not go after ManRam? Sure, he's expensive, but he is exactly what we need. Lackluster defense aside.

Burrell is scary but I have always liked him. Rivera still has upside, but its weird because he is past his prime. And Baldelli is a serious question mark. Abreu would be another option if he were right handed.

Jocketty wants a right handed left/right fielder that can split up Votto and Bruce in the lineup. So Baldelli and Rivera aren't those guys. That leaves us with Burrell or Dye or ManRam. Manny is going to be too expensive, so Burrell or Dye it is.

If Hairston isn't signed, I wonder what Jocketty will do then. Perhaps thats what all the Willy Tavares talk is all about?

Here is what we have for the starting lineup:

Dickerson CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    ??? LF
    Bruce RF
    Encarnacion 3B
    Keppinger/Gonzo SS
    Hanigan/Hernandez C

Who is that right handed bat that plays LF?

Best option? Manny Ramirez.

Likely option? Burrell (even though I have heard both Arroyo and Phillips say they would rather have Dye)

Its going to be interesting.