Wilson imagines pain-free future

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The bag on Paul Wilson's shoulder contained a lifetime supply of ice for the cocktail glasses of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. The smile on Wilson's face would light up Las Vegas Blvd.

He was one day removed from surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and a torn labrum but his spirits were high, although he said, "I'm on drugs, so if I smile too much or don't look you in the eye, that's why."

Wilson is done for the season, and strenuous and difficult times lie ahead on Rehab Road. But Wilson is ready, willing and, he hopes he be able again soon.

"I don't know exactly what to say other than the doctor (Kremchek) did a good job and fixed me up," Wilson said. "He put in some screws, some wires and some boat rope and fixed me up."

Actually, four screws were embedded into his shoulder, and the rotator cuff was sewed back together, "And hopefully we'll never have to worry about this problem again.

"This morning (Saturday) we were already pretty good with some range of motion and that's encouraging," he added. "I remember horror stories from my first time, it was so hard to get my range of motion back. It is encouraging and the right thing to do. This was something I just couldn't pitch with any more."

Wilson, 32, was the Opening Day starter and made nine starts, the last few in pain. He went 1-5 with a 7.77 ERA.

"They said I could come back stronger than ever, and as much as I'm bummed out about not being able to pitch any more, that's the light at the end of the tunnel," he said.

"I've made my peace with it and I know I won't come back throwing 95 miles an hour," Wilson said. "But I'll be able to go out there and finish my pitches, follow through, and physically do it without pain. After the surgery in 1996, I went from throwing 95 miles an hour to 85, so I had to become a different pitcher. This time I've already learned to pitch with what I have, so pitching pain-free is the most important thing."

Wilson's father observed the surgery from behind a picture window and was so enthused he told Paul, "Maybe you will come back throwing 95."

To that, Wilson said, "Dad, quit taking my drugs."

Ump, you hit it

Adam Dunn took a called third strike on a border-line pitch Thursday night and quickly turned toward umpire Jerry Meals.

"Could you have hit that pitch?" Dunn asked Meals.

"Well, no, but I was a lousy hitter," said Meals.

Said Dunn later, "I couldn't argue that one. I just laughed."

A managerial mouthful

Manager Dave Miley said more than he realized when he praised Atlanta rookie outfielders Kelly Johnson and Ryan Langerhans.

"From the few games I've seen them, the Braves sure have a solid foundation," Miley said. "They have some young guys who can do some things."

As opposed to ...

Short hops

• Just in case anybody wonders what second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez is doing during his exile to Class AA Chattanooga, well, nothing. He is hitting .219 and 15 of his 16 hits are singles. The other is a double.

• Pitcher Josh Hancock's third rehab start was a disaster Friday – 51/3 innings for Class AAA Louisville, four runs, five hits, SEVEN walks, six strikeouts and a wild pitch in a 5-4 loss to Durham.

• Since May 28, when pitcher Chris Reitsma pitches, the Braves are 10-0, just what a team would hope to be when its closer works. When he doesn't, they are 1-13. Now where did they get Reitsma?