Thread: Dunn still believes in Kearns

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn still believes in Kearns

Notes: Dunn still believes in Kearns
    Pals still in touch as former big leaguer begins comeback
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- When his good buddy Austin Kearns gave him a call the other day, Adam Dunn asked him how he has been holding up.
    Kearns responded by relaying the story of his first trip with Triple-A Louisville, in which the team took a "puddle-jumper" of an airplane to Charlotte, N.C., followed by another flight to Durham.

Needless to say, it's not the big league lifestyle Kearns had grown accustomed to.

And Dunn isn't accustomed to not having his friend in the neighboring locker in the Reds' clubhouse.

"I hate it," Dunn said.

He hates it probably as much as Kearns, who was batting .224 when the Reds optioned him to Triple-A last Sunday, hates being in the Minors.

Dunn said it's tough to see his friend go through this experience, which the Reds are hoping will turn Kearns' performance around.

When Kearns was sent down, he made it sound as if he wouldn't mind a change of scenery. But Dunn dismissed rumors that Kearns, who has gone 2-for-8 in two games with the Bats, had requested a trade.

"But I know if he can't play here, he can help some big league team somewhere," Dunn said. "If he does go anywhere, he'll play every day and hit .315 with 25 home runs and 100 RBIs."

Dunn pointed toward the visiting clubhouse, where the Atlanta Braves were housed.

"These guys would take him, Washington would take him, the Indians would take him," Dunn said. "Anybody would take him."
    Click here for the rest

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    This may not be where this post will go but, I would love to see the Twins go after Kearns. Maybe a chance to play for the american league may help him. I do believe he is an above average player who can bring alot to a team. Please trade him to Minnesota. Kearns if i remember correctly can play infield? That is where we most definately could use him.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well, not really mn. The Reds wanted Kearns to learn 3B for this season and supposedly he worked on it pretty hard but it must of still had been pretty raw. We never got to see Kearns take the hot corner in all of spring training.

I see Dunn 's still mouthing off about trades.

MLB ERA
    Considering he's the best player on the team right now, I don't blame him for being upset about not playing and batting 6th so often.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

What Dunn SHOULD be doing is leading the team by example. As much as I think that players need to put the managers and staff in their place when the timing is right (Miley and Gullet should have been gone long ago), whining about every little thing isn't conducive to a winning strategy. It just breeds failure.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietAcre
    What Dunn SHOULD be doing is leading the team by example. As much as I think that players need to put the managers and staff in their place when the timing is right (Miley and Gullet should have been gone long ago), whining about every little thing isn't conducive to a winning strategy. It just breeds failure.
    agreed.

though i don't think this was one of the worst examples, dunn needs to learn that the team is bigger than he is.

Name this player: really good friends with Austin Kearns, lived with him and worked out with him for a whole summer, got benched in colorado, and had a massage chair stolen from him.

Answer: Ken Griffey Jr. He's got just as much of a reason to be upset with managment as dunn or anyone, but he's not running his mouth off and causing more problems. He's leading by example.

Felipe Lopez is the same way, and is really stepping into his role as Barry's heir these days. I saw him helping Wily Mo before the last game of the boston series. He works really hard. I never saw Dunn go out for extra batting practice. Not once before any of those three games.

Dunn should stop whining, and learn how to hit the ball the other way, or at least have decent at bats (would some foul balls be too much to ask??).
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford