Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dye?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reds Red Dye?

The Reds are reportedly interested in trading for White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye.
    Reds GM Walt Jocketty admitted to having discussions with the White Sox, but noted that "nothing is close." The Chi-Sox are thought to be seeking young pitching and have rumored interest in Homer Bailey. Dye, 34, hit .292 with 34 dingers, 41 doubles, and 96 RBI in 154 games last season. The Phillies, Braves, Rays and Cardinals might also be interested.
    How much should the Reds give up for just one year of Dye? He is still a good ballplayer but only one year shouldn't get you too much. I think Dye would do a lot for the Reds but don;t think he is worth giving up three guys to get.

MLB ERA

Re: Red Dye?

Didnt Dye lose time last year cause he's knees were/are falling apart? I wouldnt even give up what the Braves did for Vasquez. 09 is suppose to be another rebuilding year. Sign a couple vets or maybe a Rocco type free agent otherwise throw the kids to the wolves and start scouting in house options to fill the needs.

I thought Dunn might become Paul O'Neill pt duex, but if the Reds give up on Bailey at this point Bailey might beat Dunn to that mantle.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You don't want Dye who played in 154 games and had a good year but you want Rocco who has played in 165 games over three seasons?

MLB ERA

Rocco won't cost your bailey and he showed he has some talent in the playoffs, he could be a nice low-risk high-reward signing?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dye showed talent in the postseason winning a WS MVP. If it only costs Homer Bailey, I would do it.

AA ERA

I see your logic reefer, unfortunately in the Reds situation I don't believe they should deal for Dye even if it only costs Homer Bailey. This team has no shot at the division next year mainly because of the Cubs and I hardly doubt an even remote chance at the wild card. Thus no reason to deal youth and give up on Bailey yet, even for a productive player such as Dye but given his age, the Reds IMO do not need to explore this option.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Reds situation confuses me. They say they are in this rebuilding mode but go out and spend so much on a closer and manager? Did I mention Arroyo's contract? Plus they just shelled out cash for Harang and Phillips.

AA ERA

Welcome to the inconsistency of the Reds front office the past several years . If Jocketty tries to make such a deal for Dye using Bailey as the centerpiece, I will go out on a limb and say he's no better than the GM he replaced. I've usually held Jocketty in pretty high esteem from his days in St. Louis, but I highly question his motives in this situation.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A lineup with Dye, Phillips, Votto, Bruce and Encarnacion can do a lot damage. If the Reds are waiting for the Cubs and other teams to falter, they will be waiting a while. Dye could have a good half season and the Reds could extend him a couple of years so it wouldn;t be just a one year rental.

AA ERA

Regardless of how well Dye might fit into that lineup, they have several other areas they will need to improve before being considered a legitimate contender. No need to improve your offense if you pitching doesn't stand a good chance of sustaining leads.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think they can do both. Pitching is obviously a dire need but they do need to find a way to help replace Dunn. Votto and Bruce will make a huge dent in doing that but Dye could put them over the top in that regard. I wish the Reds would get a guy like Oliver Perez. I think he would be a good fit with Harang and Volquez.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Dye is 35, stay away from him unless we are going to blow out the budget and get all the other pieces we need to win the world series.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Finally got a response from a Reds fan

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Slyder was the first reply post reef.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast