Thread: If you thought the Reds were stupid already....

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If you thought the Reds were stupid already....

Read what Hal says about Wilson in this first part:

Wilson's season over after Kremchek fixes shoulder
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Paul Wilson's surgery Friday revealed tears in the rotator cuff and the labrum, and to Dr. Tim Kremchek that's good news — and it has nothing to do with the good doctor's bill.

"This shows he had reason to feel a pinch and to pitch ineffectively," Kremchek said.

Wilson begins a long, difficult rehabilitation road, hoping to pitch by spring training. He begins range of motion work today. After four to six weeks, he'll begin strengthening. Then he'll start tossing in three to four months. He'll be off a mound in five to six months, then throwing hard with all his pitches in six to nine months.

The shocker is that Kremchek admitted the Reds knew Wilson had a partial tear in his rotator cuff and labral deterioration three years ago when they signed him.

"We signed him anyway," Kremchek said. "Dr. Jim Andrews, who did his operation 10 years ago, said, 'Hey, don't worry, Paul is doing quite well.' His MRI hasn't changed in three years. I could name 10 pitchers in the majors pitching with worse-looking MRIs."

Kremchek said the partial tears are from a decade ago. He said medical advancements in the past 10 years enabled him to fix Wilson's shoulder with one procedure.

"Now we can fix anything," Kremchek said. "This will make him stronger and better than ever. We want him back next year and for four or five years."

Dunn unhappy

Adam Dunn was given another day off Friday, and he was about as happy as he was for his last day off June 3 in Colorado. That time, he didn't complain because he wasn't hitting well.

Now he is vocal about it after hitting a 455-foot homer Thursday.

"I don't know why I'm off," he said. "And, of course, they didn't tell me Thursday — that would be too easy, they waited until today (Friday) when my mom and dad are here for the games.

"I found something working with Chris Chambliss in the batting cage Thursday," Dunn added. "That's the way it usually happens for me. Something snaps into place and I say, 'Oh, yeah, that's it,' then I'm able to take it into batting practice and into games."

Asked what would have happened if he had hit a 500-foot homer, Dunn said, "I probably would have gotten two days off."

Kearns unhappy

Dunn and Austin Kearns have talked often via cellphone since Kearns was demoted last week to Class AAA Louisville. Dunn misses his friend and lockermate.

"I hate it without him," Dunn said. "All they're doing is seeing if they can break his confidence, then they'll want him to start from scratch. He is finally fed up and said he is just waiting to see what happens, knowing if they don't want him, he can go somewhere else and play every day — like Atlanta, Washington, the Chicago Cubs.
    "When that happens, I know what will happen ... he'll hit .325 with 20 homers and 100 RBIs."

Trade good for Reitsma

Chris Reitsma threw Cincinnati's Wily Mo Pena two 95 mph fastballs for strikes in the ninth inning of Thursday's 5-2 Braves win.

Everybody who knows Reitsma knew what was coming next. Reitsma struck out Pena with a 75 mph changeup.

"I'm glad Pena didn't know," Reitsma said.

In March 2004, the Reds traded Reitsma to the Braves for pitchers Bubba Nelson and J.K. Bong.

After Nelson was arrested on a DUI charge this spring, he went to Class AA Chattanooga, where he is 2-1 with a 3.34 ERA and nine saves. Bong has spent this year on the DL (shoulder), made a rehab start in Sarasota this week and broke his hand when hit with a line drive.

Reitsma? He recently became Atlanta's closer, and in his last nine games, he has 11 straight scoreless innings, giving up six hits, striking out 11 and walking two.

"I'm having fun," Reitsma said. "It worked out for me. Sometimes it is best to move on. That's life. That's baseball."
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html

AA ERA
    The Reds are a mess emotionally and mentally right now for sure.

I honestly can't see Kearns ever hitting .320 with 20 homeruns and 100 rbi's.

it'll probably be more like 30 HR and 130 rbi. If he ever puts in the work.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    The most clueless organization in sports, bar none. Just inept.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Ditto Cincyf30.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Wilson to come back as the flamethrower that was drafted no. 1 overall by the Mets? Looks like it could be a possibility. 3 years having a torn rotator cuff after previous arm problems show that he has been plagued by injuries and has not been at 100% in his entire career.

FIRE THE ENTIRE FO!
    Kremcheck was forced to leave it alone, I guarantee it. Another one of Allen's tricks. Well, it didn't end up helping anyone did it?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If this organization was all about taking risks (Milton and now obviously with the health of Wilson) why didn't we sign Wade Miller? I know he isn't tearing up right now, but wouldn't that be a risk that was cheaper and worth taking? I am still frustrated that we didn't give that guy a shot. It's pretty crazy that we are so hard up for pitching though that we would sign damaged goods to TWO two year deals worth a decent amount of cash. I like Wilson and all but for a team who in the past has been so concerned with every nickle and dime, that doesn't seem like a very wise move to be making.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    The most clueless organization in sports, bar none. Just inept.
    Why are you talking about the Rangers?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Mission: I think 15 teams or so were in the running for Wade Miller, so would the FO be comfortable giving a guy, who optimally would be only injured enough to keep him out a month, a fair chunk of cash? I mean, he signed cheap with the Sox, but after being with the Astros he may have thought that the Sox were one of his best shots for a WS title. How much would they have to give to get Miller? 3, 4, 5 million?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Fisher: I understand the situation and the interest in Miller but from all that I heard Miller was optimally seeking a fair deal with a heftier player option as the second year. I don't know how much of that was true but if it was, the risk would of been worth it in comparison to other deals we signed. Sure Miller wouldn't be going to a WS winner but he would go to a team as the ace (sure it's a status title but pitchers do enjoy it) and he has ties with Dan O'Brien. Seemed like a winner to me in terms of a risk of the hefty player option.

Just a note on signing Wilson with an injured shoulder. The injury that Wilson has is very common for pitchers to pitch through effectively for years and years, if not their whole careers. He had that injury last year and the year before too. It’s not a very acute injury is what I’m saying, and it wasn’t that much more of a risk to sign him than it was to sign any pitcher.

Maybe the reds should have decided that two years was enough to get out of him, but pitchers get injured, it happens a lot, and I don’t think it was a bad gamble. I don’t think Omar Minaya would say it was a bad gamble either, considering he signed Pedro for way more money and years. Pedro has the same injury that paul has, only much worse, his tear is 95%, and one of the reasons the sox wouldn’t give him 4 years. But they would have given him three, so I don’t think theo Epstein would say that signing paul to two years for the money we did was a bad gamble either.

That being said, I’ll never understand why baseball players wil sink their teams for personal pride. Now it comes out that Paul was pitching in pain for 5 starts before going on the DL? Didn’t we hear that he said he wasn’t hurt time after time? That’s inexcusable to me. I don’t think it was a bad signing as far as the injury goes, but something isn’t right with Paul, or with the management, if he won’t tell them that he’s injured and pitching in pain.

Like I said, it happens, a lot, and when it does you deal with it. Paul never should have made those starts, and he should apologize to the guy who got taken on waivers because we were having so much roster trouble. Paul should have had that surgery months ago, and we shouldn’t have lost a player, and we should have had better pitching.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know that about the injury Wally, thank you for explaining that. You learn something everyday I guess.