Thread: Double Bs and Vs the future for the Reds?

MLB ERA

Minor Leagues Double Bs and Vs the future for the Reds?

Are Joey Votto, Edison Volquez, Homer Bailey, and Jay Bruce the future for the Reds? Or are there other hot prospects in your farm? If so do you guys see Jocketty possibly trading one or two of those guys? Or maybe just do what the Tigers did and build from the farm and up?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Double Bs and Vs the future for the Reds?

Jocketty said he has mild interest in Josh Bard.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Josh Bard is definitely the future.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I really don't know if Bailey will be a part of the Reds future, or at least a major part of it. He was torched this season and his AAA wasn't impressive either.

However, Bruce-Volquez-Cueto-Votto-Dickerson-Encarnacion-Burton should be apart of the Reds for some time. Yonder Alonso, Todd Fraizer, Devin Morasco, Justin Turner, Chris Valaikia, Neftali Soto, Drew Stubbs, Yorman Rodriguez, Shaun Cumberland, Daniel Dorn, Darryl Thompson, Sam Lecure, Juan Francisco, Ramon Ramirez, Josh Roenicke, Dallas Buck, Kyle Lotskar, Zach Stewart and Juan Duran are all among the top 25 organizational prospects IMO. Although some, like Duran and Rodriguez, are far far far away and there is a range there from C type of prospects to A prospects. The Reds better hope that Harang is healthy and can have a full bounceback season though as while there is some upper level pitching depth, it is primarily relief talent and the other arms that are there (like Thompson or Maloney) aren't near the level of a Cueto or Volquez.

MLB ERA

I see, if Harangatang bounces back, with the emergance of Volquez, 1-2 top of the pitching rotation, if suppose you add another arm in the rotation either Arroyo or Bailey bounces back, and adding some missing pieces of the puzzle either from your farm or free agency, how soon do you expect the Reds to start to be contenders?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Reds have a few holes. Dickerson posted the numbers we needed, +.300 BA, +.400 OBP, and nice power... but it was only 100 AB's. If he was able to replicate that success... or at least come close to it (which is more realistic,) that would be a huge boost.

Assuming the Reds are fine with Dickerson at CF, the other more pressing need in the outfield is in LF. With the loss of Dunn's bat, the Reds really need to target a big bat in the offseason as there are no options ready to contribute that success internally. Some have suggested trying to trade for Holliday, others believe Pat Burrell is the answer as he would provide somewhat similar numbers to Dunn but with more contact and as a right-handed bat (which is key.)

I think the Reds will give Hannigan a shot at catcher next year. Not the best option, but better than what was ran out there last year.

Shortstop is the next most pressing area of concern outside of a power outfield bat. I really don't know what will happen here, whether we'll look to free agency or will Alex Gonzales get the slot by default due to his somewhat sizeable contract.

Votto, Phillips, Encarnacion and Bruce should all be locks. Although, the Reds might go the cheaper route and move either Encarnacion or Votto to LF, sign a productive low cost vet, and push Yonder Alonso through the system to get him in the bigs sometime in the post ASG part of the season. Alonso did not play much after the college season ended, but he is polished and should be a fast mover (although I think that would be moving too fast.)

I'll discuss pitching later on.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The common offseason dreaming will be underlying this sentence. Move along if you dont want to read something that will never happen.

C Hanigan, Bako
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    3B Encarnacion
    SS Gonzales/Keppinger
    LF Manny
    CF Bruce
    RF Holliday

SP Volquez
    SP Harang
    SP Free Agent
    SP Cueto
    SP Arroyo/Bailey

hahahaha

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Manny would hit another 500 in that park if motivated wouldn't he?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

In one season, yup

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

I would trade Bailey to the first team that offered anything that could help the Reds out. Bailey doesnt impress me at all. He doesnt have an overpowering fastball and cant throw his breaking ball for a strike. Maybe try him in the pen where he can let loose for 1 inning and maybe hit 97mph+
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."