Thread: Tiant, Gullet share '75 series memories

MLB ERA

Tiant, Gullet share '75 series memories

Tiant, Gullett share '75 series memories

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

BOSTON | — With a light rain falling on Fenway Park and a tarpaulin covering the field, the Cincinnati Reds didn't take batting practice Tuesday and more than a dozen players sat in the clubhouse watching a mindless movie called Napoleon Dynamite.

Most didn't notice the portly and mostly bald fellow slip past them and head for a corner of the clubhouse.

One player noticed.

"Isn't that Luis Tiant?" asked utility infielder Luis Lopez.

Yes, it was. And it's Mr. Tiant. El Tiante.

"Awesome, just awesome," said Lopez. "I thought it was but I wasn't sure. He said hello to me in Spanish. I was 5 when he pitched against the Reds in the 1975 World Series and my father told me all about him. I'm getting a ball for him to sign."

While most of the Reds laughed and giggled at the goofy movie, Tiant settled into a chair next to Don Gullett. It was baseball history being talked about, being talked about over the loud volume of a silly movie.

The two hadn't seen each other since the 1975 World Series, when they were pitching opponents in Games 1 and 5.

"How old are you?" Tiant asked.

"Fifty-five," said Gullett.

"Fifty-five? You're just a baby, man," said Tiant. "I'm pushing 65 and I'm pushing hard."

Gullett smiled and said, "He got me in Game 1 (6-0), but he got a hit off me." Gullett was 1-1 in three starts and was the starting pitcher in Game 7, but not the winner. Tiant was 2-0 in his three starts.

"Best World Series ever," Tiant said. "Every game there was a lot of pressure."

"And a lot of great players and big hits," Gullett said.

Tiant leaned over close to Gullett and said, "I should be in the Hall of Fame and this guy (Gullett) would be if he hadn't hurt his arm. He had guts, a lot of guts. Wasn't afraid of anything."

And then Tiant quietly slipped out of the clubhouse, unnoticed, as laughter bounced off the walls from a scene in Napoleon Dynamite.

Casey leaving

Sean Casey served as the Reds designated hitter Tuesday, then left for Long Island, N.Y., to attend the Thursday funeral of a family member. He won't return until Friday.

Adam Dunn manned first base because manager Dave Miley thought it might be easier for Casey just to DH rather than have his mind possibly wander in the field.

"I almost left today (Tuesday), but decided to play today and leave tomorrow," Casey said.

Following Griffey

For those April bloggers and radio talk show regulars who in April wanted Ken Griffey Jr. dangling from the end of a wienie roasting stick or put on a campfire spit, consider this:

Since May 1, Griffey has 10 homers and 35 RBIs. In comparison, A-Rod of the Yankees has 10 and 28, Mark Teixeira of Texas 10, 34; Miguel Tejada of Baltimore 9, 20; and Carlos Delgado of Florida has 11 and 35.

He's still 'In'

For Eric Milton, the numbers saw it is past time for him to be removed from the rotation and replaced by, oh, maybe, lefthander Randy Keisler?

If Danny Graves, Austin Kearns and D'Angelo Jimenez were eliminated due to lack of production, then how about Milton?

Milton is 3-8 with a 7.97 ERA over 12 starts. The eight defeats is tied for the most in the National League with former Reds pitcher Brett Tomko. Although Milton gave up no homers in his 10-3 loss to the Red Sox Monday, the 22 he has given up leads the majors.

Milton also leads the NL in several other catagories:

• Hits allowed (107), 10 more than the No. 2 guy (Livan Hernandez, Washington);

• Earned runs allowed (67), 16 more than the No. 2 guy (Jason Jennings, Colorado);

• Runs allowed (73), 14 more than the No. 2 guy (Joe Kennedy, Colorado).

Farm report

Chris Denorfia, a non-roster outfielder at Class AAA Louisville, played several early spring training games for the Reds and is making good use of the experience.

He owns an eight-game hitting streak, during which he has hit .556, and he has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games (.476, 20-42, two homers, 12 RBIs).

In addition to signing No. 1 draft pick, outfielder Jay Bruce, the Reds have signed 18 players and assigned them to either Billings of the Pioneer Rookie League or to Sarasota, Fla., with the Gulf Coast League Reds.

Among the signees were right-handed pitcher Jeff Stevens (No. 6, Loyola Marymount University), outfielder Brandon Phillies (No. 7, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo) and shortstop Mike Jones (No. 8, Wayne County High School).
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

It might be about time for Gullett to pack his bags along with Miley,Allen,and O Brien.