Thread: Will Yonder Alonso sign today?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Minor Leagues Will Yonder Alonso sign today?

My bet is on no at this point. If he still wants 7.8, 8 million plus a major league deal, I don't see it.

The picks around him though are signing closer to slot money so there is a chance. But based on what I've read of him, unless the Reds probably went over 5 million, I could see him play ball in an independent league or going back to school.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Will Yonder Alonso sign today?

I bet he goes back to Miami. I am VERY disspointed in this turn of events as well. Dude has a stick and we could use it more than ever now. Sure would be nice to get a guy like this despite the controversy of his being a 1B and out already having a pretty good stick there in Votto now.

I kind of wonder what the plans are with the freed up money from Dunn and Griffey's contracts. We know that a bigt chunk of it is going to Harang and Arroyo. Is there anything left over after that?

MLB ERA

You got to sign him, even with Votto he'll be a major trade chip if you guys become competitive or you can trade Votto before he starts making a ton of money. You knew the demands before you picked him so you gotta deal with it.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think it was a poor choice to begin with. Not that he doesn't have good potential, he does, both other players were projected to be higher ceiling players with lower demands.

And I am not one that views Votto as some core cornerstone who will have a lock on the position. Good player, but not someone to roadblock other prospects in the system.

I think Votto still has a lot of room to grow, but time will tell if he can actually become a big difference maker. I think the real problem here is the Reds have backed themselves into a corner with this pick, he can't play anywhere but 1B (not exactly a tough position to find someone at) and he is demanding a ton of money. I could really care less if they sign him at this point, might find a couple better guys next year.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh I do too (in regards to Votto.) But back to Alonso, that was the problem in signing him was how locked into first he would be due to no other choice being available given his size and athleticism.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per C Trent:

* Oh yeah, Dusty Baker said he'd talked to Yonder Alonso yesterday, just called him.

* One of my peeps e-mailed and said the Yonder Alonso talks are looking "very BAD right now"

Each minute with a deal, that 50/50 number that Jocketty put out there seems to go down.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

To be honest, I am kind off excited about some of the young guys in the minors still. I think both Stubbs and Frazier will have roles on this roster next season. Perhaps Frazier's numbers this year have intrigued Jocketty enough to allow Alonso to go back to school.

If Alonso were signed, he would be a 1B no matter what. Which means Votto would likely move to LF or be traded. Many here have shown their discomfort in Votto's LF ability. I can't say I disagree with that. And if EdE is in the plans for our future, then Frazier would be our LF or our SS. Keppinger has dissapointed since coming off the DL. So it could go either way. 2009 could look like this:

Free Agent/Hanigan C
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    EdE/Frazier 3B
    Frazier/Keppinger SS
    Frazier/EdE LF
    Stubbs/Dickerson CF
    Bruce RF

Very young team and nowhere near contention. But definitely a team to watch grow into something pretty strong.

I think they could still contend, but it all varies on how quickly the young guys can get adjusted. Also don't forget about Castillo as a possibility behind the dish, if he can pick up his offense to where it was last year he could be a nice contributor as well.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Screw him. No offense bro, but I am just not happy with this deal for Dunn at all, so excuse my bias.

Who was the greatest Red of all time? Pete Rose.
    Who had a higher career Red OBP? None other than Dunn.