Thread: Alonso signed!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Contract Alonso signed!

The Reds did get Yonder Alonso done, and it’s a major league contract as reported earlier. Terms: $2 million bonus, $4.55 million guarantee on the MLB contract.
    BaseballAmerica.com: Blog: Baseball America Draft Blog » Blog Archive » Alonso Terms

Came down to the 11th hour but he signed. Frankly, he got his way over the Reds and essentially his terms. But despite his lack of athleticism, he is a guy who will hopefully help fill the void I have been clamoring about which is someone who will bring a well rounded run producing game to the table with contact, power and plate discipline.

He will be going on the 40 man roster. I am guessing he goes straight to AA, and if he really tears it up and we're really playing lousy up here, he might get some time in September to help sell some season tickets for next year based on "The new exciting young young young, did I mention young, Reds."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Alsonso signed!

Of course if he does see time this year, the Joey Votto to LF experiment would begin.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Oh man! I just got back from a late dinner with the family. Thank God it happened. I really thought it wouldn't. Glad to see the FO was hard at work today. Mission, I know you don't like the thought of Votto going to LF. But am I correct in thinking that you like the potential of seeing Alonso in a Reds uniform more than the possibility of not having him on the team? Regardless of where that puts Votto?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If it comes down to who do I think can make a bigger impact in helping our runs differential if potential is reached, then it's Alonso and thats what I want, even with Votto in LF.

With Alonso, Duran and Rodriguez, the Reds have signed their biggest potential impact position players not named Bruce all this summer.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Did we actually get Yorman?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

so that's the deadline?
    I wonder if the pirates failed to ink their top pick, haha
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I hope Votto can adopt well to LF if put there. He is a hard working guy so maybe full focus on that position will do some good. (He has improved a lot at 1B since being drafted I have heard, although he still leaves a lot to be desired.) Alonso is a hard worker, despite his attitude. I hope he can develop and be an impact bat before he goes to New York in F.A. requesting the same contract as A-Rod.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

We did get Yorman Rodriguez! You are right mission, this year's clean up of young potential talents has been phenominal. Its great to see we have even more young talent in the pool. Great day for Reds fans! Maybe I can get over the Dunn stuff a little easier now.

Apparently, they are going to try him at 3B as well. Thats kind of interesting, but I don't see it lasting long.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Alonso signed!

I'll tell you what, I am so excited about Alonso, Rodriguez, and Duran. The latter two are at least 4 years away, but its amazing how we signed the two best players out of the US. I never would have expected for talent like this to come to Cincy. And we have to be honest, a lot of the really great talent in MLB is from both the Dominican and Venezuela areas. To have signed the best talent from those countries means so much for the future of this team. Hopefully they keep it up.

Until then, they all will be sporting Sarasota Reds uniforms on MLB2K8 and beyond for me.