Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Harang and Arroyo are only locked up for two more years. Counting on those two to win now isn't the smart way to go. I always saw Phillips more as of a #5 type hitter and he has hit well tis year with RISP. Votto might be able to bat cleanup as he looks like a 30 HR guy who can actually hit for some kind of average. Bruce, Votto, Phillips and Encarnacion can provide runs. Pat Burrell and Raul Ibanez are about the only OFers worth getting this offseason. Maybe Bobby Abreu. I see 2010 as the year the Reds finally start to creep up the NL Central.

I love Freel as a backup.
    I am not saying it is the smartest way. But they will take up a significant part of the payroll and unless winning is the goal, unloading all three for the best prospects to rev up the way the Rays and others have, low payroll-tank a few years- stock up is the way to go.... UNLESS they are willing to address the lineup.

Phillips can be a straight up lineup killer. 26 GIDP's last year and while that will be cut down this season, 18 or so should be expected. Couple that with a low OBP, I'd prefer if he was batting 6th on a GOOD team. Let him hack from behind the bigger bats.

Votto is not a cleanup hitter IMO. Votto is Sean Casey in a good season, with a few less hits but a bit more power. That is not meant to be an insult either. A guy who could maybe reach 30 on a really good season, but a more sure bet for 20-25 homers. Let's not forget that three of his 14 homers came in one game, not that it should take away from his power potential, but I think it gives people the wrong impression about what he projects to be. Personally I love him as a #2 hitter. Good power for that slot and good contact, I think he could really blossom there. Relying on him to produce cleanup type run production again falls into what is happening with Phillips.

I really think of the three, the one best equipped to maybe hit 4 or 5 is Encarnacion. He is only 25 and while this is a bit of a down season in terms of contact, he is starting to really develop his power potential. Assuming he could get his average back up to .270+ like he has in the past, plus his plate discipline, I think he could really do some damage. His RISP numbers are way down this year, but he has been killer in that department before (check 2006 for example.)

Burrell is the kind of player I'd like to see the Reds go at for a two or three year deal. He'll be 32, but has a great eye at the plate, above average contact, and will hit a lot of XBH.

Leadoff/Dickerson
    Votto
    Bruce
    Burrell
    Encarnacion
    Phillips

Is something I could tolerate for sure and could actually be pretty respectable depending on how Bruce develops.

I doubt Abreu goes for a one year deal. But an OF of Burrell-Bruce-Abreu could be really interesting. Abreu's power numbers would shoot up in GABP, him and Burrell would both get on base at a good clip, combine with a ton of XBH's and a lot of opportunities for run production. Of course that is dreaming right there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I'd take Burrell in a heart beat. He not only gets it done at the plate, but he has a hose in LF as well. A lot of people have attributed him as a right handed Adam Dunn. Honestly, I think I would like him in LF even more than Dunn.

But that's beside the point. Burrell or Abreu would be awesome additions to this team. But we can't expect the offense to be that much better than it was this year even if we added both of them (which would never happen). If we added both Abreu and Burrell, then we would be banking on Bruce, Votto, and EdE's production rising. As I said, Burrell's numbers could replace Dunn's. Abreu's would be a bit better than Griffey's. So where are we better than this year? The young guys are going to have to realize their production in that seemingly tough sophomore season. We'll see I guess, but I am not liking the looks of this team's future so much right now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Abreu would do a lot better than Griffey's production. Again, the problem isn;t offense. Its the pitching.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Reds officially acquired Micah Owings today.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Reds officially acquired Micah Owings today.
    Awesome. Maybe he can play some outfield instead of that Corey Patterson guy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345