MLB ERA

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Whitesell has impressive #'s.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    To me it appears that Dunn had recently expressed he was not interested in signing an extension. If that is the case, Jocketty must have thought that this package was better than the picks we would have received if we let him walk. So either Jocketty is really high on Buck, or some of the undisclosed prospects.
    Word is, Jocketty has not once discussed or contacted his agent. I hadn't heard that piece on Dunn, but given his career with the Reds, Jocketty not even calling to say hey could have really soured him. By all quotes from Dunn, he didn't seem bitter or wanting to leave Cincy though.

As for the C. Trent nugget, a guy like Owings or Schezer would definitely change my perspective to be certain. Also I heard that Whitsell sat our tonight so I don't know if that will play into anything.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And the other part consists of home runs and walks, the two special qualities that separate Dunn from his predecessors and contemporaries. Think five straight years of 40 homers is impressive? Dunn is 20 walks from hitting 100 for the fifth straight year, and only Bonds has done 40-100 five in a row. Never Babe Ruth. Never Ted Williams. No one but Bonds and, soon, Dunn.
    D'backs strengthen lineup with Dunn deal - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Pretty amazing, huh? I'll miss you Dunn.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

I love Dunn but on the other hand hes been a part of a team that hasnt won in a long time. I'm not blaming him but changes have to be made because whatever we have had for the last decade hasnt been working.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Too bad Bonds hit for a .300 average.

MLB ERA

Word is, Jocketty has not once discussed or contacted his agent. I hadn't heard that piece on Dunn, but given his career with the Reds, Jocketty not even calling to say hey could have really soured him. By all quotes from Dunn, he didn't seem bitter or wanting to leave Cincy though.
    If Jocketty isn't really interested in re-signing Dunn, he probably wouldn't contact him at all. During his time in St. Louis, there were a lot of soon to be free agents that wanted to stay in St. Louis (and said they would have taken less to stay) that were upset because Jocketty never even contacted them. I'm not necessarily saying this is a badthing. Jocketty has a plan, and his focus is on that. If he felt that Dunn money would be more useful somewhere else, then this deal had to be made. Also, Jocketty doesn't like offering arbitration. He has a plan and if that player accepts arbitration, then it messes up his plan. I think there is a good chance that Dunn would have accepted arbitration, and would have received a nice pay raise. I don't think Jocketty would have taken that risk, he never has in the past. So you probably can't compare this trade to the picks that the Reds would have received. I don't think Dunn would have been offered arbitration.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

I just wonder if these trades (Griffey and Dunn) have fetched the "clutch" players that Jocketty seemingly always gets.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Too bad Bonds hit for a .300 average.
    Thanks reef. Because I compared Dunn to Bonds or any player for that matter, thanks for point that out. If you want to fail to acknowledge Dunn's contribution and consistent production for 6 years, the fact that he is only 28 (just in his prime), and hit .264 last season which is entirely feasible to hit again given his talent.... that's fine. I don't want to argue with you and plenty think I am wrong which is fine. I can't convince someone in the pool that it's dry and you can't convince a person looking directly at the sun that it's not bright.

Let's agree to disagree, it would be a lot simpler. But again for the record, I am not putting Bonds and Dunn in the same category. Clean or not, Bonds was on his own planet in production.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    If Jocketty isn't really interested in re-signing Dunn, he probably wouldn't contact him at all. During his time in St. Louis, there were a lot of soon to be free agents that wanted to stay in St. Louis (and said they would have taken less to stay) that were upset because Jocketty never even contacted them. I'm not necessarily saying this is a badthing. Jocketty has a plan, and his focus is on that. If he felt that Dunn money would be more useful somewhere else, then this deal had to be made. Also, Jocketty doesn't like offering arbitration. He has a plan and if that player accepts arbitration, then it messes up his plan. I think there is a good chance that Dunn would have accepted arbitration, and would have received a nice pay raise. I don't think Jocketty would have taken that risk, he never has in the past. So you probably can't compare this trade to the picks that the Reds would have received. I don't think Dunn would have been offered arbitration.
    And Jocketty would be dumber than the redneck who hauls the TV out on the ledge of the jackcuuzzzzi if that was the case. I too have heard the mantra of no contract talks during the season from Jocketty and others. But to risk disruption of the plan so he might as well get the best he could is just plain retarded for a team that should be rebuilding if losing our cornerstone of production.

Jocketty has refused adapation and change before and I am fully judging him based on the return haul being greater or worse than the two draft picks they would have received, as all in that front office should be. Dunn accepting arbitration would not have been the worst thing, and sending cash with him all but makes it neccessary for this haul to be as good as the two draft picks, otherwise he has no place in the front office.

Our catchers include Javier Valentin, Paul Bako and Ryan Hannigan. We have given .240 AB's to .550 OPS Corey Patterson. Josh Fogg is a piece in our rotation. We bat Brandon Phillips as a cleanup hitter, possibly one of the worst moves ever and something that seems destined to never change. This team has a lot wrong with it, getting the most from Dunn would have been beneficial no matter if it was him staying, being traded or walking and us getting draft picks. If Dunn was not part of the master plan, a buyer should have been found before the deadline but by all accounts, the Reds wanted too much. They either needed to find that with this deal or else it really is terrible forsight by Jocketty as he either needed to hold his ground to find a return a bit better than the picks or keep him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Thanks reef. Because I compared Dunn to Bonds or any player for that matter, thanks for point that out. If you want to fail to acknowledge Dunn's contribution and consistent production for 6 years, the fact that he is only 28 (just in his prime), and hit .264 last season which is entirely feasible to hit again given his talent.... that's fine. I don't want to argue with you and plenty think I am wrong which is fine. I can't convince someone in the pool that it's dry and you can't convince a person looking directly at the sun that it's not bright.

Let's agree to disagree, it would be a lot simpler. But again for the record, I am not putting Bonds and Dunn in the same category. Clean or not, Bonds was on his own planet in production.
    I am not failing at acknowledging anything. Dunn has power, Dunn strikeouts, Dunn walks and Dunn doesn't hit with RISP. I never said you compared Dunn to Bonds, the writer did. I was merely pointing out that its too bad Dunn can't hit for average to get the recognition you think he deserves. Bragging that he hit .264 last year isn;t a lot to go on especially since he is hitting lower while reaching his prime.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Micah Owings can hit.
    Nice

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Owings has reportedly had shoulder issues of late. Might be a watch and see here.

Some have rumored though that Parker is the other PTBNL and I'd flip if that was the case.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Owings has reportedly had shoulder issues of late. Might be a watch and see here.

Some have rumored though that Parker is the other PTBNL and I'd flip if that was the case.
    I assume by Parker, you mean Jarred the 19 year old pitcher that is putting decent stats or do you mean Justin the SS that struggles to hit his wait?

I only ask because I haven't seen any names rumored anywhere, and I wasn't sure how to take your flip comment (as in good or bad).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jarred Parker the pitcher. A B/B+ type of a prospect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast