Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kearns optioned to AAA, LaRue bereave

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    We know for sure Kenny Kelly was not on the 40 man roster and here's how: The transaction page said that his contract was purchased from Louisville. If he was already on the 40 man the transaction would have read "he was recalled from Louisville".
    I agree with you, but I cant find anything. I went to the Reds website and looked at the 40 man. Currently there are 43 on the roster, but 6 guys are on the DL. So I figure that means no one had to be released on the 40 for Kelly to make the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    I agree with you, but I cant find anything. I went to the Reds website and looked at the 40 man. Currently there are 43 on the roster, but 6 guys are on the DL. So I figure that means no one had to be released on the 40 for Kelly to make the roster.
    depends on whther those guys were on the 15 or 60 day DL. IF there were 4 guys on the 60 day, then that would mean they had an open spot for kelly, but the 15 day doesn't affect the 40 man roster, just the 25 man roster.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AA ERA
    Well, I looked it up and there are 3 guys on the 60 day DL. Olmedo, Hancock and Bong. So I guess the Reds are going to have an issue soon since Olmedo and Hancock are in AAA right now. This is very interesting.

It should time out so they're ready just before the trade deadline, if you catch my drift.
    Reds MVP Race

Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Well, I looked it up and there are 3 guys on the 60 day DL. Olmedo, Hancock and Bong. So I guess the Reds are going to have an issue soon since Olmedo and Hancock are in AAA right now. This is very interesting.
    There's your answer. So Machado is not on the 60 day DL?

This is a post from a Reds forum I frequently post at. The guy posting this works for the Cincinnati Reds and is very familiar with Dunn and Kearns.

I posted this a part of another thread. If it's ok with the Mods I think it needs it's own discussion.

Austin has a LONG volatile history with the Reds. He was not HAPPY with where he was originally assigned when drafted. (Not many fans know this) Pretty good first season in the minors. Reds Brass goo gooes all over him, fills him with wonder. He played well in Chattanooga until he hurt his hand/thumb. He was PO'd at the team for how they handled the hand/thumb injury. (laying more groundwork) THEN in ST he blew up on Tim Naehring for being assigned to Chattanooga instead of Louisville. I remember Jim Bowden somewhat kissing his butt but Naehring royally lighting him up that morning. Kearns sulked away. As a matter of fact he was MIA for a day.

Kearns played well and eventaully made the Reds roster. He worked hard, took advice and showed progress. Almost out of nowhere he went into a SLUMP and was again PO'd that he had to go back to the minors (AAA). (I'm mean REALLY who do you think you are sending ME down?) LOL! Austin has always had his way.

The front office pumped him full of accolades and pleasantries. NOW that he has grown INTOLERABLE to many he's talking about "stuff" that keeps happening to him or is said about him.

I remember being in Louisville's clubhouse and watching him sulk. He would barely speak to me or ANY of his fellow teammates. Finally Raul Gonzalez, Chris Sexton and Ruben Mateo went off on him. I thought Austin was going to cry. Some people have said to me "Well look who was yelling at him, career minor leaguers" True. That's the best part. A more talented whining kid sulking in AAA. That really does not go very far with guys who DO bust their butt to get a taste of what he has. I also remember Kevin Witt chiming in with "You need to take that skirt off and start acting like a man" That's harsh but it was the truth. He played well that night and was recalled the next day because of an injury. He never fully learned his lesson.

Austin and Adam are really in the same boat. Adam is close to MONSTERDOM but refuses to put in the time and effort. I personally think Austin has more talent. Better speed, better ARM, better defense and truthfully a better bat. He certainly does not have Adam's power.

(People think Palmeiro is a power hitter. He'll be the first person to tell you he hits "Wall Scrapers") He told a group of us in ST, halk joking, that he had 376 power as he was pointing to Right Center which was 375. (I'll take 550 of those please)

Austin simply thinks he ALREADY put the hard work in. It's a shame. What's even worse is that the Reds do not have a manager to get the best out of these two. "We'll try harder tomorrow" is not the speech or the "what for" these young guys need. Two edge sword.

My personal relationship with Adam and Austin has been a bit fractured BECAUSE I have brought this up. MANY TIMES. There are SO MANY people filling their heads with BS that they just don't see the reality of the situation. Eventually they will but how many WASTED years do we all have to wait? Let's hope that the lesson begins today.
    SBSL-Washington Nationals

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The more and more I have thought about this move, the more I have come to like it. I really think this is what is needed to light a fire under Kearns. I also think this shows the Reds aren't willing to give up on him. At least I hope that is the case because going to AAA could be one of the best things for Kearns. I think he has been frustrated with himself and pressing too much, if he can get his confidence back there is no question we will see the real Austin sooner than later IMHO.

wow, that is a fantastic look behind the scenes, thanks for posting it. It echo's what we have been presuming here, and it's nice to know that we weren't just making stuff up.

Hopefully Austin learns his lesson this time, and realizes that he doesn't have any choice but to work hard and play well at AAA, trade or no trade.
    Reds MVP Race

Man, you guys don't really like him. Kearns for Kolb, straight up. Whaddya say?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    With a Davies throwin, ok.

No.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    I like these moves a lot! They were needed, and if it means a trade of Kearns soon, so be it,as long as we get some kind of return. I was worried about the "four outfielders situation" since before the season began.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

After watching that game last night, i agree with hal, the kearns move could have waited until after interleague play.
    Reds MVP Race

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    After watching that game last night, i agree with hal, the kearns move could have waited until after interleague play.
    The play in RF was not major league caliber for sure but unless Kearns can get Milton to pitch better I think we were still destined to lose that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    The play in RF was not major league caliber for sure but unless Kearns can get Milton to pitch better I think we were still destined to lose that one.
    indeed.
    Reds MVP Race

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast