Larkin makes a welcome return

By Kevin Kelly
Enquirer staff writer

The evening belonged to others.

But as the Reds Hall of Fame welcomed its newest class Saturday, the club also welcomed a familiar face back to Great American Ball Park.

Retired shortstop Barry Larkin, now working as a special assistant with the Washington Nationals, visited the Reds clubhouse and sat in on the pregame ceremonies honoring Eric Davis and Jose Rijo, former teammates of Larkin's, and 19th-century baseball pioneers George and Harry Wright.

Larkin's visit was precipitated by a phone call last week from Reds chief operating officer John Allen. Allen wanted to make sure Larkin, who will present Rijo during a banquet this evening, knew he was welcome to attend the event and visit Great American Ball Park.

"I just thought if Barry had any concerns about (presenting Rijo) that I ought to just call and make sure to let him know he's always welcome here," Allen said. "Just make sure he was at ease."

The call surprised Larkin, whose 18-year career with the Reds ended under less-than-ideal circumstances.

"John basically told me, 'I respect everything you've done, appreciate everything you did, and you're welcome here,' " Larkin said.

"It was really great on his behalf."

Also discussed was the possibility of a Barry Larkin Day at Great American Ball Park. Larkin called off a scheduled ceremony last season after he decided he might not be ready to retire.

"I just mentioned to Barry that whenever he's ready to sit down and talk about it, just let us know," Allen said.

"Obviously he's got a busy schedule. Whatever works best for his schedule, his family, and whenever he wants to do it if he wants to do it."
Click here for the article