Thread: Players-only meeting

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Reds Players-only meeting

ESPN - Reds, losers of seven of eight, try to right ship with players-only meeting - MLB

so apparently, they held a players-only meeting before the loss yesterday. Obviously, that article doesn't really have any details. do you guys think this will have any impact on the way they play from here on out?

I didn't realize that Washington swept them. Wow. Washington is pretty terrible this year. I know the Reds aren't playing that well, but they're only 10 games below .500. There are 6 teams with a lower winning %.

What do you guys think needs to be done to get the franchise turned around? Other than prospects, they don't really seem to have a lot that they could trade away for young players in the off-season. I guess they need to continue to build from within. thoughts?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Players-only meeting

Resign Adam Dunn.
    Get Aaron Harang healthy for 2009.
    Hope Bronson Arroyo can continue pitching like he has over his recent stretch into 2009.
    Acquire an additional above average middle infielder to pair with Phillips.
    Trade for a young catcher with who can play at the MLB level and has a stick that could be worthwhile for several years as we have nothing promising from either our current catcher or in our system.
    Make a few low key free agent signings, most notable signing a league average centerfielder with plus defense and a dependable starter to slot 4/5 in the rotation.

The Reds have been really hurt by Harang not being on his game, so if he can come back and they can comeback in form that will dramatically change the appearance of the team. Getting a strong defender at SS and at CF, who could hit at league average for their position would really help solidify the defense.

No one knows how the rookies will play next year and if there will be any sophmore slumps. Rather than make a huge splash in free agency, I think the Reds would be much better off building around the core they have and upgrading with modest signings and trades for the most part as 2009 could really be a .500 type of season, where 2010 might be their opportunity to really compete.

Of course a lot depends on what happens in the rest of the season. The young guys could progress by leaps and bounds, Harang could look stellar and the team could really come together. But as is, I'd play it safe in the offseason with an intent to compete but to only pull out all the stops if the Reds really show they are capable of competing by the deadline in 2009.