Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN reports..... Griffey Traded to White Sox

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Trade ESPN reports..... Griffey Traded to White Sox

The Reds have agreed to trade Ken Griffey Jr to the White Sox pending his approval.

Re: ESPN reports.....

I hope he turns it down.
    Twins All-Time Record since the day I exist
    3,955 total games (1964-1991), .496

MLB ERA

I haven't even heard any rumors mentioning Griffey, even now. That is classic Jocketty though. He always manages to keep his discussions low key. Sometime you never even hear it's a possibility until the deal is made or very close to being made. He did that with the Larry Walker trade. It wasn't even mentioned as a possibility that he would be traded to the Cardinals until a few hours before the deal was made.

MLB ERA

Griffey approved the trade. It might involve $1MM+ in cash somehow., but it'd be for Danny Richar and Nick Masset according to Danny Knobler. The Reds will hopefully be willing to kick in some cash for Junior to approve the deal if necessary.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Did someone on the sox get hurt, where's he going to play? Quentin, Swisher, Dye in the outfield. Thome at DH (Konerko at 1B) ....
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

the highest paid pinch hitter in baseball?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They needed pitching depth more than another low average power hitter.
    Ted

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wow. I am totally shocked that Griffey was dealt. I know many will rejoice, but I am actually a bit sad as this marks an end to an era that never lived up to the expectations Reds fans had. Griffey might be a punchline for many, but he is a guy who has battle back from injuries time after time and has remained a classy player through out it all. I'll always remember how special #500 and #600 was, how amazing it was to see Griffey win comeback player of the year and how excited I was when the Reds made the deal for the best centerfielder in baseball.

You'll be missed Griffey, good luck on chasing that ring in Chi-Town. It was time for both teams to move on.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Did someone on the sox get hurt, where's he going to play? Quentin, Swisher, Dye in the outfield. Thome at DH (Konerko at 1B) ....
    Ozzie had been talking about sitting Konerko before the Griffey trade, Konerko has been awful although he is their captain so it's not easy: Benching Konerko not that simple :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: White Sox

LF Quentin - CF Griffey - RF Dye
    1B Swisher / Konerko

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: ESPN reports..... Griffey Traded to White Sox

I suppose. Konerko battled injuries early on. But, when the manager is saying:
    He told the Chicago Sun-Times, "I'm not going to make a move without telling him what's on my mind. My question is, if I bench Paulie, who's on first?"
    Not inspiring talk of Swisher's defense there.
    Ted

Griffey in CF will be ugly. He's not even a competant right fielder.

I'm disappointed the Griffey-Reds marriage didn't work out but keeping him here two more months won't change that. As a Reds' fan I'm glad to get him out of the #3 spot in the lineup and I'm anxious to move past the Griffey era in southern Ohio.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am torn. I feel just like mission in that I am sad to see him go. But I also feel just like Sea Ray in that I am anxious to get this team to where it needs to be. Griffey is not the answer (especially how he was being used) and I am happy we will not be over-respecting this guy any longer.

My favorite player since I was a kid, and now I am happy he is leaving my favorite team. Kind of ironic, but that is baseball. On another side, I hope the White Sox win it now.

Well I was hoping Junior would finish the year in the Natti,but least he gets to play for a contender now.I think some of the reason he was traded has to do with the fallout from the Brantley situation,which Castellini said would be handled internally.There is no excuse for the behavior he exhibited in that situation.At least his last HR in Cincy was a vintage Griffey upper deck shot.
    Dunn is the next one to go now imo.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Griffey in CF will be ugly. He's not even a competant right fielder.

I'm disappointed the Griffey-Reds marriage didn't work out but keeping him here two more months won't change that. As a Reds' fan I'm glad to get him out of the #3 spot in the lineup and I'm anxious to move past the Griffey era in southern Ohio.
    Sadly, Griffey has had to deal with a lot of resentment from the fans due to management being unwilling to see what needed to be done. Him leaving centerfield should have happened a few seasons before than it actually did. Him leaving the three spot should have happened sooner.

Like you, I'm happy that we'll be able to move past his lock on that spot, but knowing Dusty I don't know if we can expect the right move to be made in his replacement either.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

WOW, I just realized that our season is saved:
    Griffey Jr leaving = Corey Patterson back in the lineup....ALOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast