Thread: Jay Bruce signs and is ready to play

MLB ERA

Jay Bruce signs and is ready to play

Top draft pick signs, ready to play

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Signing quickly with the Cincinnati Reds was not an issue for No. 1 draft pick Jay Bruce. Drafted on Tuesday, Bruce signed Friday for $1.8 million and was wearing a uniform for photo ops minutes later.

The issue? Meeting Ken Griffey Jr. and wondering, "Will he talk to me? I hope he'll say hello."

Bruce, 18, is a center fielder and, of course, Griffey is his hero. They met and they chatted.

Asked which team was his favorite, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound left-handed hitter and left-hander thrower smiled and said, "Whatever team Griffey was on. I've always liked him as a person and a player because of the way he carries himself. He never gets in trouble, which is the big thing I like about him, and he is one of the best ever."

Said Reds scouting director Terry Reynolds, "One of the ways you can tell a player really wants to play is how long it takes to sign him."

The Reds knew at least three weeks ago, maybe six months ago, that there would be no haggling over cash with Bruce. His agent, Toby Trotter, said signability was an issue on both sides.

"Jay said six months ago he wanted to sign right away and we had it figured it would be the Reds and that was OK with us," said Trotter. "They knew where'd they need to be with a contract offer and they knew where we'd want to be. We figured out about three weeks ago he would be drafted by the Reds."

Bruce picked professional baseball over Tulane University, and it was an easy choice.

"I want to play and the only way to get to the big leagues is to play," he said. "This is what I want to do, always wanted to do, and I wanted to get started and give myself a chance to get here fast."

Bruce was wearing the number he wore at West Brook High School in Beaumont, Tex., — 32, the number formerly worn by Reds closer Danny Graves. He will report to the Reds team in the Gulf Coast Rookie League, which begins its season June 24.

"Jay will be a very, very good big-leaguer," said Reynolds. "He has lots of ability and is a player we want in our uniform for 10 to 15 years."

The 12th pick overall, Bruce hit .538 with 12 homers, 31 RBIs and 13 stolen bases his senior year. He may not be going to college, but he knows how to do his homework.

"I know about The Big Red Machine with Johnny Bench and Pete Rose and Joe Morgan, who won back-to-back Most Valuable Player awards," he said. "And I know the Reds were the first team in major-league baseball in 1869 .... just a little research I did."

If he doesn't make it as an outfielder, he can work in the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame & Museum ... or as a comedian. "I got my speed from my mother (Martha). She ran track."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    This is good news. Its good to see we wont have to wait to see if he will play and start working his way up.

MLB ERA
    He sounds like he has a great attitude and seems like a good kid. Good to hear.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.