Thread: Arroyo

MLB ERA

Question Arroyo

Do you guys think Bronson Arroyo will or should be traded? Obviously he hasn't been the pitcher the Reds had hoped he would be when they resigned him to that big contract this past offseason. I doubt Arroyo would bring much in return if a team is willing to swallow his entire contract, but Jocketty might find some team interested in him.

If a team is interested in Arroyo, and is willing ot take on his entire contract, do you think he should be traded?

Personally, I would jump at any offer that gets that contract off the books even if the return is minimal. I don't think the Reds should have resigned him to a 2 year $25 Mil extension, but they did. Granted, that contract was signed under the old GM. Jocketty may want to rebuild the team with his own vision. What do you guys think should happen?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Arroyo

I think we should trade him to free up money for this year's free agency. Or even better to at least pay for an extension on Dunn.

I think Arroyo has boosted his value in his last few games and he may be worth more than many think.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't trade him unless someone wanted to give fair value for his talent. He shows flashes of being a great pitcher and he is going through yet another streaky skid where he inflates his numbers and then pitches like a very capable #2 for quite some time. Personally I think the Reds should focus more on finding a pitching coach upgrade than losing Arroyo, as I think there has to be something that is going undetected that would help Arroyo stay more consistent or find his way quicker.

Finding a pitcher of his talent with any money that would be freed up by his departure would be difficult given what pitchers go for and the commitment would be longer. But in the end it all depends on what the Reds want to do. If they want to compete, you keep him. If competing is more like 2010/2011/2012.... get rid of him and build up a nest egg to acquire talent later and retain the talent we have now that won't be so cheap in the future.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Apparently word has it that Arroyo wants badly to stay in Cincy.