Thread: Ken Griffey, Jr.

MLB ERA

Soapbox Ken Griffey, Jr.

There has been reports that Tampa Bay has "interest" in Junior. I'm not going to debate the matter as to WHY, just going to assume it for the sake of starting a discussion. Also reported that Tampa would "trade" CF Rocco Baldelli for Junior straight up. Again ASSUMING FOR SAKE of conversation and discussion it is true.

I would trade Junior for anything from a contender to just get him a chance to get a ring. It isn't going to be in Cincinnati. He's become an albatross on this team. His range is gone thus turning what could be outs into base hits, singles into doubles, etc. He can still hit at times, but even if he gets hot this team doesnt have the talent around to make a serious run. Like many of his teammates he is miscast by Dusty Baker. If Baker showed any inclination that he was learning I would not be concerned but from Day 1 he has made the same mistakes over and over and over again, trading Junior would allow Dusty to pencil in someone else in the 3 hole and take the BS respect aspect out of the equation and maybe get back to looking at I dunno PRODUCTION! Griffey will always be remember among the all time great hitters and defenders in baseball... just as a Seattle Marineer.

You could say Rocco may never stay healthy long enough to make a splash in the majors but trading Junior does more for the Reds franchise future than what the return should be expected. The Reds are not going to exercise the option on Junior's deal, nor should they bring him back for less.

Moving Junior allows him to play with a team that could compete THIS YEAR, he's 38 and never going to hit anywhere near his younger days so his time is short and would probably be willing to take a trade to a contender just to get that chance. AL teams he could dh and still provide valuable pop to lower end of most lineups or even as a platoon guy.

For the Reds it may guarentee more playing time for another Baker miscast Corey Patterson but it could also allow the Reds to move Bruce to RF full time, which is where most scouting sites list him as projecting. It could also allow the Reds to begin scouting what in house players they have and let guys like Chris Dickerson get at bats in the majors and see if theres any hope that someone could step up their game and show they could be a contributor in 2009. Or as teams make moves to open up a roster spot for "rentals" maybe see if we could find a Cody Ross or Brandon Phillips to fill needs on the fly.

Jerry Hairston, Jr by all accounts is the catalyst right now, he must play everyday. Right now he is spotting everyone without a position to call his own. Junior being gone could also give him an every night spot with Ryan Freel serving as Mr. Utility. This would give the Reds an outfield with better range, maybe saving some pitches on the young arms because those soft singles are becoming outs as Hairston/Bruce/Freel are able to make those plays.

If Rocco finds something that can combat what he has or just kicks the injury bug thats great you have the CF for the next 10 years to leadoff and team up with Bruce in the outfield. If he doesnt you still do this trade IMO, because it allows both parties to move on because the Reds need to do that before they will ever truely get ahead.

Thoughts?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Ken Griffey, Jr.

I'd do that trade for sure. You bring up excellent points and I think having Hairston take over in CF (if he comes back from the DL) would be perfect. I want to see if he can finish off the year on the same kind of trend he has set for himself. And like you said, if Rocco does make it back from his injuries, then that would be even better for us.

Where are you seeing the possibilities?

MLB ERA

Re: Ken Griffey, Jr.

Another Reds site and a few of the infamous blogs say Tampa would indeed have some interest.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes