Thread: What do you hope to see in the second half?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Forecast What do you hope to see in the second half?

Not talking about trades here, buying or selling, but what would you like to see on the field to consider the second half an improvement for 2009?

1.) Bailey and Cueto to progress. Obviously Bailey has a lot further to go than Cueto does, but to see both improve and develop will really solidify how good this rotation could be in 2009.

2.) Bruce to make the adjustments necessary to succeed at the MLB level. It seems that pitchers have his calling card now and he really struggles against lefties. While I didn't expect Larry Walker type numbers from Bruce like many were hoping he would deliver out of the gate, I do think he can be better than what he has shown thus far at the early stage of his career. Pitchers have adjusted to him and now he needs to adjust to them. I think a solid spot in the lineup would be the first thing to do so he has clear expectations of what his role is and what needs to be doing.

3.) Griffey to reach 620. 15 more homers would be at a higher rate than what he has hit, but Griffey can turn it on late in the season. I don't know if he has the bat speed anymore to hit at that rate, but I'd really like to see it. If he hits 620 and can remain in the MLB starting for a few more seasons (as a DH somewhere), he'd have a shot at 661 to surpass Mays which would cement his place in history more so.

4.) For Adam Dunn to have the kind of second half he did last season (.985 OPS.)

5.) To play David Ross for 80% of the catching. Bako might be able to handle pitchers but he sure can't hit and at his age/skill set he shouldn't be apart of the plans for next year. Ross, in limited AB's, has looked more impressive with the bat. I think we need to see if he can rebound and put up some numbers from the catcher spot, if he can we might not have to worry about that so much in the offseason relative to a position like CF.

6.) More important than all of the above, for Aaron Harang to get healthy and pitch a bit more true to form. Knowing that our two aces are in check will make me feel much better about 2009.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

Re: What do you hope to see in the second half?

a 20 game winning streak
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Answering mission's list:

1.) I agree here. For me, this is the single most important subject to look at in the second half. If these guys get it going, we may get to see the start of a wonderful rotation.

2.) I agree a consistant solid lineup spot would do Bruce wonders. But I don't expect that to happen yet. I think Dusty is still trying to figure this team out. But I expect Votto and Bruce to move into the 3-4-5 roles by September. It just takes one move from Dusty to get to do that. Junior has to drop. Also, I agree with looking for Bruce to adjust to MLB pitching. He knows he is seeing far too much of the soft stuff. So he should be taking bp hacks at that kind of stuff every day. I don't doubt that he will figure it out, these things just take time. And that time should come in this second half. Should be fun to watch.

3.) Griffey getting to 620 would be great on two accounts. The first being as mission explained. It would be awesome to see him contend against Mays' number. The second for me is making him more of a commodity to other GMs. Even if we can't trade him; I'd like to see someone pick him up next year. At this point, I am not sure too many teams would be interested in him as a free agent. 620, could market his value quite a bit though.

4.) Adam Dunn to have a .985 OPS in the second half? That would be amazing. Some are trying to say that now is the time for his bat to start to slow down. I just hope we don't see that. I hope he can have a huge second half and cement his spot in the middle of our lineup for many years to come.

5.) I don't remember where I read it, but there is a stat out there that shows this team's winning percentage is significantly better (despite the difference in sample sizes) when Bako start behind the plate. I am on the fence on this one. But if I saw that stat again, I think it would help me make my decision. For now, I know we need an upgrade at the catcher position and I would rather us lose 2 of our catchers and get a solid starter for next year through FA or a trade.

6.) Yep, I read six after I said that number 1 was the most important. But yes, you are right. Harang's health is definitely important. Man, I hope he can come back to form. If he doesn't, I can't imagine the setback this team would have.

I also would like to see if Hairston can come back from the DL and continue to hit like he has. Dude has been amazing for us this year. I want to see if Keppinger can stick for an entire season as well. Votto and EdE are other important factors moving forward and I would like to see them continue to improve.

All good reasons to watch the Reds this second half.

I agree with pretty much everything there mission, those were the points I was thinking of when I opened this. I'd also like to see Votto continue to improve his defense, and Edwin come back like last year. Not to mention a wild card run haha.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cueto struck out the side in the first inning! Here we go...

Closed
    AAA ERA

The Redsox open a bigger margin on the Tampa Bay Rays and for the Yankees to fall farther and farther behind in the race.