Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who won't be a Red in 06'?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietAcre
    Jason Larue is: (both leagues, NL)

BAVG .245 (36th, 19th)
    OBP .348 (13th, 5th)

If it weren't for all the HBP's, he probably would fare as well as he is with his BAVG. Plus, HBP's are never a good thing. They lead to broken bones, suspended players, and a lot of them are an indicator that a player can't swing a bat.
    LaRue's batting average has nothing to do with the HBP. It does help his OBP, because it is known as a "skill". Some players consistently get HBP often, and it's not because they can't swing the bat.

LaRue:

2003: 20 HBP
    2004: 24 HBP
    2005: 8 HBP(so far)
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

LaRue has had a good month but if we had this discussion a month ago he'd be considered a defensive liability. As he gains another year of major league service I think he'll become more expensive than he's worth.

I don't like his offense because he swings and misses so often. His strike out totals are huge considering the fact that he doesn't hit for much power.

I'd only consider hanging onto him due to lack of other options but I'm no Jason LaRue fan

MLB ERA
    Passed balls amount to a handful of runs being scored over a full season.

His strikeouts don't matter. The Giants have the fewest strikeouts in baseball,but also the 9th fewest runs. The Reds have the most strikeouts in baseball,but the 7th most runs. He hit 16 HR and 14 HR over the last two years, and is on pace for 14 this year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Passed balls amount to a handful of runs being scored over a full season.

His strikeouts don't matter. The Giants have the fewest strikeouts in baseball,but also the 9th fewest runs. The Reds have the most strikeouts in baseball,but the 7th most runs. He hit 16 HR and 14 HR over the last two years, and is on pace for 14 this year.
    That's not enough HRs to warrant 100+ strike outs.

MLB ERA
    Imagine that, the team with the second fewest strikeouts in MLB(A's) have scored the 4th fewest runs.

And imagine that again... three of the top five teams in MLB in Runs Scored are in the top five in number of HR hit.

Of course only two of those five teams is in the top five in team batting average. (and one of them, the Yankees, are 13th in MLB in team BA)

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Imagine that, the team with the second fewest strikeouts in MLB(A's) have scored the 4th fewest runs.

And imagine that again... three of the top five teams in MLB in Runs Scored are in the top five in number of HR hit.

Of course only two of those five teams is in the top five in team batting average. (and one of them, the Yankees, are 13th in MLB in team BA)
    I think of folks like you everytime A Reds hitter strikes out with runners in scoring position and less than two out. As a matter of fact, I get nervous everytime a Reds hitter gets two strikes on him.

We have a philosophical difference of opinion on strike outs. I think as a team they need to cut down on them. You are fine with them...like you're convinced if they reduce them they'll also reduce the number of runs they score. I'd rather have a .240 hitting catcher that strikes out 50 times rather than one who strikes out 125 times. That's another 75 times we have a chance of something good happening.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    I think of folks like you everytime A Reds hitter strikes out with runners in scoring position and less than two out. As a matter of fact, I get nervous everytime a Reds hitter gets two strikes on him.

We have a philosophical difference of opinion on strike outs. I think as a team they need to cut down on them. You are fine with them...like you're convinced if they reduce them they'll also reduce the number of runs they score. I'd rather have a .240 hitting catcher that strikes out 50 times rather than one who strikes out 125 times. That's another 75 times we have a chance of something good happening.
    It's also likely to cut down on his HR.

LaRue gets on base through BB and HBP too. He does both of those things well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12