Thread: Reds Notes: Fractured wrist not enough to sideline LaRue

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Fractured wrist not enough to sideline LaRue

Fractured wrist not enough to sideline LaRue

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Catchers are supposed to be tough, right? Catchers are supposed to be the toughest guys on their teams because of the abuse they take at their position.

Cincinnati Reds catcher Jason LaRue is going above and beyond right now. He is playing with a fractured left wrist.

When he was hit by a pitch Saturday by Colorado pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim, it was the eighth time he was hit this season, one behind league leader Brady Clark of Milwaukee.

This time, though, LaRue suffered a hairline fracture.

"That's why I didn't play the next two games," he said. "I had to let the swelling go down. I could have played after one game out, but there still is a little swelling."

LaRue set a club record by getting hit by pitches 24 times last season, breaking his own record of 20 set the year before.

"I seldom get hurt when I get hit," he said. "This time I did, but not enough to keep me out that long."

Somebody kiddingly suggested a catcher with a fractured wrist couldn't hit a home run, as LaRue did Wednesday against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and he smiled and said, "Some can't, I can."

LaRue hit another home run Thursday.

Getting in Dunn

Adam Dunn is taking a lot of hits for a current hitting slide, including from himself because he is his sternest critic.

"I'm pulling off the ball and I know it but can't stop," he said. "I know they are throwing me a lot of change-ups and I gear up for them, but I don't hit them right now."

He also is taking criticism for not producing with runners in scoring position, but consider:

As of Thursday, Dunn had 50 plate appearances with runners in scoring position. He walked 18 times and had nine hits, including a double and three home runs. That's a .476 on-base average and .452 slugging average, meaning he made outs only 51 percent of the times he batted with runners in scoring position.

Nevertheless, he would like to do something about his .179 batting average over his last 16 games, dropping his batting average to .237.

Bring cash

Fans searching for tickets for the Cincinnati Reds-Boston Red Sox series in Fenway Park Monday through Wednesday better have free access to the back of a Brinks truck.

Ticketsnow.com says seats on top of the 37-foot high Green Monster wall in left field are selling for $445 each, parachutes not included. If any are available — and usually there are not — bleacher benches go for $60.

Contrast the wall seat in Fenway to a front row seat near the Reds dugout for $90 for the Reds-Tampa Bay Devil Rays series.

Short hops

• Felipe Lopez was on the bench and Rich Aurilia was at shortstop Thursday against Tampa Bay lefthander Casey Fossum, "Just to give Felipe a little physical and mental rest," said manager Dave Miley.

• To make room for pitcher Luke Hudson, the Reds optioned pitcher Elizardo Ramirez (0-3, 6.75) to Class AAA Louisville, "Where he will work out of the rotation," said Miley.

• With extended spring training concluded, infielders Ray Olmedo (right elbow surgery) and Anderson Machado (left knee surgery) were transferred to Class AAA Louisville on rehab assignments and remain on the disabled list.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    He also is taking criticism for not producing with runners in scoring position, but consider:

As of Thursday, Dunn had 50 plate appearances with runners in scoring position. He walked 18 times and had nine hits, including a double and three home runs. That's a .476 on-base average and .452 slugging average, meaning he made outs only 51 percent of the times he batted with runners in scoring position.
    .................................................. .............................................

This 's for you Hal.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.