Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random trade deadline tidbits

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Random Random trade deadline tidbits

Columbus Dispatch:

More scouts are watching the Cincinnati Reds with the idea of plucking a player or two for the stretch run. One scout came to Great American Ball Park last week for his regularly scheduled visit, but he extended it to get another look or two at reliever David Weathers. Another scout swooped in for one night, one on which Bronson Arroyo pitched.
    I wonder which teams they are scouting for. All we have heard is the Marlins for Ross and Weathers and the Phillies for Arroyo.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Random trade deadline tidbits

Marlins must dig the risky WHIP?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep, to me they are looking at the past bit much. But I wouldn't mind if they wanted him. I know the Reds wouldn't be getting anything good in return though. But, sell him anyway.

MLB ERA

I heard a small rumor that the Mets would be interested if Dunn became available. But I don't know what the Reds would demand, if the mets would accept that demand(let alone if they COULD meet the Reds needs with their fairly weak minor league system).

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

It would take quite a bit to be honest. I am starting to think that Jocketty is looking at this logically. He knows that he doesn't have anyone in the system that can replace his production. And he knows that the free agent class looks weak as well. I think he may want to keep Dunn unless he is blown away with an offer.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Baseball Prospectus just said that teh Reds could be a darkhorse in signing CC Sabathia after this season if he becomes a free agent.

Sabathia
    Volquez
    Harang
    Cueto
    Bailey/Thompson

Sick!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sabathia would probably mean no Dunn.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Sabathia would probably mean no Dunn.
    works for me though

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'd love Sabathia, but this offense cannot suffer that kind of blow. I am not saying that as just a pro-Dunn person, but if Dunn leaves, he would need to be replaced with another big bat.

But I don't buy the Sabathia rumors coming to light. We would need to offer more than all of the big boys, over 5-6 years, and somehow convince a west coast boy that staying in Ohio would be worth it when he wants to go home which means more $$$$$. The Reds would be much better off, assuming Harang returns to form, in trading prospects to get that other pitcher if they feel it neccesary. After seeing what Haren ended up costing, I am still disappointed that we didn't go after him and his contract more aggressively.

But honestly, with seeing Bailey last night, the need for another pitcher might not be as great.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree mission. This team cannot afford losing Dunn whatsoever. Sabathia or not. There won't be anyone available to replace him. Unless Castellini forks out money for the both of them, I don't love the idea either. But that line of thinking can cause you to lose hope in this year's free agency. If we can't get better by picking up a few free agents without losing Dunn, then we will be having a problem.

Still, Dunn is worth keeping. But I see no way for us to land a bigtime free agent without losing him or Castellini open the wallet up even more than he already has. Griffey's money? That is already spent on Harang and Arroyo's contracts next year.

We'll see. This is what we have to look forward to moving forward.

MLB ERA

I have a feeling Jocketty will add offense through acquiring underappreciated players in trade/FA; meaning the cost might not be as high in some cases. The "peaks and valleys" system in other words.

And I'm sure Dusty's going to push hard for Sabathia. I could definitely see Jocketty at least checking out the situation.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA

i'm sorry but how many winning seasons has Dunn brought us with his "BIG BAT"

i will be one of the first to admit that you don't get many guys who can consistantly put up the numbers that he does.. but to think that we have to have him.. i mean look at the 1990 team.. sure baseball isn't the same game it was then.. but the bottom line is that having a guy who hits 40 HR's in your line up doesn't automatically mean that the line up is better then a team that doesn't have that guy.. you always trade hitting for pitching and not having Dunn in order to have the money to sign C.C. is a trade of Hitting for PItching.. you take that.. as far as Bailey's start even if it was an indication of anything.. i honestly don't think it is possible to have TOO much pitching.. there is no way in the world you can tell me that you would rather have Dunn then C.C. i not only don't buy it, i don't agree with it..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think you are just on the other side of the argument. Don't get me wrong, CC Sabathia would be a major upgrade to the rotation. But losing Dunn would really crush this offense. I almost hate that he hits 40 HRs per year. Not really, but too many people focus on that and it only seems to conceal his ability to get on base. The dude is an OBP/OPS monster. He is hands down better than anyone on this team. And at the same time our offense has been our downfall this year. I think our offense needs an upgrade much more than our pitching staff. Losing Dunn would put us that much further in a hole. We need to add to Dunn, not decrease the offense by losing him. If it costs us a chance at CC Sabathia, I think it is the smart decision only because we can't replace Dunn and we already have our Sabathia (Volquez).

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    i'm sorry but how many winning seasons has Dunn brought us with his "BIG BAT"

i will be one of the first to admit that you don't get many guys who can consistantly put up the numbers that he does.. but to think that we have to have him.. i mean look at the 1990 team.. sure baseball isn't the same game it was then.. but the bottom line is that having a guy who hits 40 HR's in your line up doesn't automatically mean that the line up is better then a team that doesn't have that guy.. you always trade hitting for pitching and not having Dunn in order to have the money to sign C.C. is a trade of Hitting for PItching.. you take that.. as far as Bailey's start even if it was an indication of anything.. i honestly don't think it is possible to have TOO much pitching.. there is no way in the world you can tell me that you would rather have Dunn then C.C. i not only don't buy it, i don't agree with it..
    First off, that is a ridiculous course of logic. So your point is, Dunn has been here while losing, therefore his value is not that great, correct? If you have a great steak, but the potato and vegetable are both crap.... does that make the steak lousy too? The Reds play has nothing to do with Dunn outside of the fact that he is 1/25ths of the team.

Secondly, no one here is saying that Sabathia is less value than Dunn. Sabathia is a fantastic pitcher who has put up dominating seasons. But it will not be as easy as swapping Sabathia for Dunn. The kind of contract Sabathia will demand will not only be longer than what Dunn gets but I fully expect it to be at least 8 million dollars per season more than what Dunn would receive. The question isn't if Sabathia is better than Dunn but rather can the Reds offense sustain a winning team without Dunn or a bat similar in nature. Currently the Reds offense is middle of the pack. Like it or not, Dunn is the Reds leading run creator by a high margin, who can replace that? The only one with the potential to do so is Bruce and he is showing his age and experience right now. Of course Phillips could have a better year, Encarnacion, and Votto too... but I wouldn't rely on that.

Let's say that Bob wants CC, but the Reds can't afford to keep Dunn or Hairston. What is your lineup using in-house parts only? Because I can't see the Reds dropping 20+ on CC, having Arroyo and Harang's contracts double in cost, and being able to sign any FA of note to give us another bat. Not that we wouldn't be able to trade for one or sign a player league average replacement player for 2-4 mil, but I am just curious how a lineup would look without Dunn, Griffey and Hairston.

In an ideal world, we would get Sabathia and add a big bat or two rather than subtract.

MLB ERA

You could always bring in Moises Alou next year....He toojk a paycut to 7.5 million this year, at
    this rate, maybe next year he'd take a minor league contract?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast