Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just got home from the game

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    As I said before, I think he's overwhelmed. We need someone from outside the organization to take over. O'Brien is the one that really deserves the firing though, for adding Ortiz/Milton to begin with. And despite what O'Brien says, he is responsible for how long those two stay in the rotation.
    If he's overwhelmed then he's incompetant. This is the big leagues. Nobody said this would be easy.

If he's letting O'Brien influence who should play then he should be fired. A manager without a backbone is not a good manager.

MLB ERA
    O'Brien has the final say on roster moves, as he is the General Manager.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

O'Brien has the final say on roster moves, as he is the General Manager.
    True but Miley has the final say on who he plays. Miley doesn't have to play Aurilia just because he's on the roster. He doesn't have to bat Dunn 5th or 6th and Lopez 7th. That's not O'Brien's call

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    True but Miley has the final say on who he plays. Miley doesn't have to play Aurilia just because he's on the roster. He doesn't have to bat Dunn 5th or 6th and Lopez 7th. That's not O'Brien's call

I agree there, although if O'Brien wants him to do those things, he either listens or ignores him and risks getting fired. I'm not saying I'd agree with him if that were the case, but I could see how it could happen.

And he certainly doesn't have say on the Milton/Ortiz issues(them staying on the roster). He doesn't have many other options on the starting front too, so not much he can do there.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

I agree there, although if O'Brien wants him to do those things, he either listens or ignores him and risks getting fired. I'm not saying I'd agree with him if that were the case, but I could see how it could happen.

And he certainly doesn't have say on the Milton/Ortiz issues(them staying on the roster). He doesn't have many other options on the starting front too, so not much he can do there.
    If Miley doesn't value winning more than anything then he's a horrible major league manager. Losses will get him fired quicker than anything. If he plays lineups do not give him the best chance of winning then he's hurting himself. This is different than managing minor league teams. As a minor league manager winning is not as important as taking direction from above.

I disagree with your comment on starting options. He has a lot. He has two in the bullpen right now, Belisle and Keisler

MLB ERA
    I don't think pulling out Milton and his $8.5 mil. contract from the rotation will go over well with management. Unless they decide to dump him or put him on the DL, I'll be surprised to see him out for more than one start.

I don't think pulling out Milton and his $8.5 mil. contract from the rotation will go over well with management. Unless they decide to dump him or put him on the DL, I'll be surprised to see him out for more than one start.
    OK, how 'bout Ortiz? He was much more successful last year in the 'pen. What's wrong with trying him in the 'pen?

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't be at all opposed to trying him in the pen. I think the team thinks he is still "getting into a rhythm" as a starter though. Heck, they still think Milton just needs a few "mechanical adjustments" to start pitching well, but they've said that for about a month or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12