Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team angers Dunn again by removing tribute jersey to Graves

MLB ERA

Team angers Dunn again by removing tribute jersey to Graves

Hudson off disabled list, gets first start

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | In another of the many surprise moves uncorked by the Cincinnati Reds, pitcher Luke Hudson is coming off the disabled list to start tonight's game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Hudson has been on the DL since spring training with shoulder problems. He made on rehab start Saturday for Class AA Chattanooga at Jacksonville, Fla., and was a 4-0 loser, giving up four runs and six hits over 62/3 innings, walking one, striking out seven and giving up two homers.

Originally, Aaron Harang was tonight's starter, but he'll pitch Friday against the Baltimore Orioles.

"In his last six starts Harang has thrown more than 100 pitches and we thought he could use an extra day of rest," said manager Dave Miley, to say nothing of saving the team's best pitcher for the Orioles rather than waste him on the Devil Rays.

"It also is Hudson's turn," Miley said. "He has worked hard to be get back to where he is. He has good stuff and toward the end of last season he was outstanding for us."

From August until the end of the season, Hudson was the team's best pitcher — 4-1 with a 1.67 ERA in his last eight starts and 3-1 with a 1.33 ERA in five September starts.

Harang loves Boston

Harang doesn't mind that his turn today against Tampa Bay was pushed back a day so that he can face the much-tougher Orioles.

"I still get to pitch in Boston and that's what I want," he said.

Harang wants the Fenway Experience for two reasons.

"I was hoping we had an off day in Boston so I could go to Cape Cod," he said. "I pitched for Cotuit (Mass.) in the Cape Cod League and I'm still in touch with my house-family, the people I lived with in 1998," he said. "They came to spring training this year in Sarasota and I would have liked to visit them."

The other reason is pleasant memories.

"My rookie year (2002) with Oakland the first start in Fenway was against Derrek Lowe and I held the Red Sox to one run in seven innings," he said. "The run was a home run to Manny Ramirez and I learned how pesky the Pesky Pole (right-field foul pole) can be. The home run hooked around the pole and landed in the first row. But we won, 5-4."

'32' jersey confiscated

More clubhouse intrigue surfaced when the Reds returned home from their 1-5 trip to Houston and Denver.

The red '32' Danny Graves jersey that Adam Dunn hung on the clubhouse wall near his locker was gone. And Dunn isn't happy about it. When he put it up, in honor of his departed friend and teammate, Dunn said, "If that goes, I go."

Asked if it were removed in his absence, Dunn said, "You don't think anybody would be brave to take it down in front of me, do you? It was gone when we came back from the trip."

A few days ago, Miley had two massage recliners owned by Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. removed from in front of their lockers and they now gather dust in the clubhouse chapel.

Keisler can hit

Those in the know and those who pay attention shouldn't have been shocked by pitcher Randy Keisler's home run and double in Tuesday's game against the Devil Rays.

"He hit .357 last year at (Class AAA) Norfolk," said manager Dave Miley.

Said Keisler, "I was hitting .400 until they started sending me up to pinch hit in crucial situations and pitchers began throwing me breaking balls. I struck out three of my last four times."

Tampa Bay catcher Toby Hall watched Keisler's home run and said, "He swings like Ken Griffey Jr. I keep telling our guys never to take the pitcher for granted. A lot of these guys can hit."

Wilson on delay

Disabled pitcher Paul Wilson's return from shoulder tendinitis suffered a slight setback.

Wilson was eligible to come off the disabled list June 1. He was examined this week by Dr. Tim Kremchek and advised not to pick up baseball until at least the weekend.

"He is giving his shoulder active rest," said trainer Mark Man. "He isn't throwing, but he is doing strengthening exercises."

Meanwhile, shortstops Anderson Machado (left knee) and Ray Olmedo (right elbow) are playing their last game today in extended spring training in Sarasota.

Mann said it is likely both Machado and Olmedo "are very close to rehab assignments."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Let's anger Adam Dunn EVEN MORE. I know we shouldnt be giving special treatment to Dunn to a huge degree.... but jeez a jersey?!?! I really think they are trying to place Dunn in a situation where they can feel "justified" in trading him.

MLB ERA
    I know. A jersey... big deal. He wanted to remember Graves the person and Graves the pitcher in that he was with the team for eight years. What's wrong?

And I agree about placing him in a situation where they think trading him would look "better". I am so scared to see what O'Brien might get for him in a potential trade in July(if he's still around himself then).

I could literally see O'Brien trading him for someone with only marginally good numbers and a lot of wins due to playing on a team with a lot of offense.

On another note... I find it funny that Keisler hit so well at AAA too. He should be on the bench when not "starting" for us.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It just really seems like they are pushing Dunn to publically come out and demand a trade. Casey/Griffey are virtually impossible to move and Pena/Kearns are cheaper so that leaves Dunn and the one with the highest value.

I could understand if he didn't make a statement like that and the Reds removing it thinking it would be a big deal. But when Dunn says: "If that goes, I go," you cannot tell me they did not read that. Give me a break. O'Brien and crew are setting up a situation to get a pissed off Dunn which then will get the yahoos calling 700WLW with the Furball ranting on whatever Dunn starts to say.... I can just see this all happening. Many predicted once Dunn started to near his payday he would be gone, this could be how they hope to get rid of him and have the fans not storm the gates.

MLB ERA
    It's pretty sad when you have to worry about a conspiracy with a team's FO, but that's what we have with the clowns that are running things.

I don't see how they possibly could have not read/heard about that statement that Dunn made.

And I can easily see the WLW situation. I could see them blowing his comments out of proportion and then acting like he's a "cancer" or something. They would probably convince some listeners he really is one, which would make them much less upset over the trade.

Or perhaps they are hoping he gets so angry that he starts making more harsh quotes and then screams at fans who complain to him about them, giving them justification for trading him immediately(a similar situation to the Graves one, except with a trade actually being made as opposed to him being DFA).

Two points here. One is, they let him have his say. They let him hang the jersey as a tribute and get some things off his chest. But they can't let the thing stay up there indefinitely. It needed to come down at some point. Even Marty and Joe's tribute to Elvis had to come down eventually.

Secondly, we as fans have to hope that Dunn outlasts this current administration. It'd be hard for Dunn to justify a grudge against a new crew that hopefully will include a new manager, general manager and a few new coaches.

If he refuses a long term contract in the off season, trade him but get value. The franchise will go on...

Wow...just wow...
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

i don't know what to make of all this, it's mind boggling. Miley has got to go, and soon. We have a good young core of position players now with lopez and encarnacion for next year, dunn and pena in the OF, that's enough to build a winner. Sure we could use a pitcher or three, but we really need a staff that can bring the guys together and make them want to be a part of something here. I read about what's going on in Cleveland and it seems crazy to hear of players who are happy during rebuilding. The reds players are always getting screwed over, they hate the rebuilding years, where as the guys in cleveland are excited. They want more young players and they know that if they stick together in a year or two they're going to be a monster.

Imagine if Baily, Gardner, and Votto all come of age in two seasons, and play to their potential. If everyone in the clubhouse was happy and looking forward to those times, and trying to learn to be good together we'd look like this:

Freel
    Lopez
    Dunn
    Pena
    Griffey
    Votto
    Encarnacion
    catcher?

Baily
    Gardner
    Harang
    Hudson
    pitcher?

That's pretty tough looking, but the players have to want to make it happen here. We could just as easily see half of those guys gone and another 5 years of mediocrity. It all starts with the FO and the management.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    My biggest problem with the situation(although I don't think they needed to take the jersey away to begin with) was that they did it while the team was gone. That was a classless method of handling things.

MLB ERA
    Seems like thats the Reds FO favorite way to do things dating back to Bowden with the Ron Oester/Bob Boone situation, Graves, Larkin, etc.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    I read about what's going on in Cleveland and it seems crazy to hear of players who are happy during rebuilding. The reds players are always getting screwed over, they hate the rebuilding years, where as the guys in cleveland are excited. They want more young players and they know that if they stick together in a year or two they're going to be a monster.
    Bingo. It's because of the new stadium and the false promises. True Dan O doesn't gurantee anything but he gets a team with veterans and "proven" winners and hopes for a winning season. He puts the focus of the offseason on the old guys we added. In Cleveland it's all about the youth and the future. And they might make a few moves that don't seriously impact the future payroll to help out now (IE Millwood.) But you don't see them committing 25 mil to a guy who has been average through his career at best. Or trading one of their best pitching prospects for a guy who hasn't had a good season for a while. Instead they sign their core to a LTC and make sure the youth is the future.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    My biggest problem with the situation(although I don't think they needed to take the jersey away to begin with) was that they did it while the team was gone. That was a classless method of handling things.
    I don't know if Miley, O'Brien or Allen wanted but whoever did should of been a man about it. Instead they try to be shifty and now what should of been a private situation is now made public.

Wow. Just wow.

This FO is childish. Bunch of idiots. Is O'Brien 12 years old? I think my 10 year old cousin is more mature than Miley and O'Brien.

MLB ERA
    They're terrible with PR, that's for sure. Easily the most immature organization in baseball.

I have to disagree with you guys on this one.

I honestly don't know who the bigger cry baby is, Casey or Dunn...

Why is everyone just soooooooo obsessed with Danny Graves? Can everyone just do their jobs and move on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast