Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pena locks self in room to lift weights after hitting HR to win it

MLB ERA

Pena locks self in room to lift weights after hitting HR to win it

Wily! Wily! Pena's blast wins it
    Reds slugger comes through on his bobblehead night

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | They came to praise Wily Mo Pena and take him home with them in the form of a bobblehead doll.

And they thought it would be enjoyable if they could take home a Cincinnati Reds victory, too.

What they got was absolute Hollywood schtick and schmaltz — a Pena bobblehead doll and two home runs from the massive Dominican, including a two-out game-winning rocket into the left-field seats that broke a tie and ended it abruptly — Reds 11, Tampa Bay Devil Rays 9.

After taking a curtain call shortly after his 428-foot dagger into the hearts of the D-Rays, Pena locked himself in a room to lift weights, so next time he can hit two into the infield of Turfway Park in Florence, Ky.

When he emerged, he wondered if the Reds could declare tonight Wily Mo Pena Bobblehead Night and added, "I hope (tonight) is another one so I can have a game like (Wednesday). I'm happy for the team first because it was a great game for everybody."

Well, almost everybody. Not Eric Milton.

To win, the Reds had to overcome a 9-4 deficit and they did it with six home runs, including Pena's pair.

First, though, Ken Griffey Jr., picked off second base earlier in the game when the Reds were tied, singled ahead of Pena in the ninth to tie it, 9-9.

"We did the little things and fortunately I was able to redeem myself and tie the game so Wily Mo could take us home," said Griffey.

Some did the little things, Wily Mo did the big, big things and the crowd was able to take him home along with the chills of a stunning turnaround.

They cheered loudly when Pena came to the plate, almost as loudly as they booed Milton after he was pounded for a grand slam in the fifth inning by Eduardo Perez.

Asked before the game what it felt like to be immortalized, Pena looked as if he had been told his native Dominican Republic was on fire. He speaks as much English as his interviewer speaks Spanish.

But when asked if the bobblehead looked like him, Pena smiled broadly and said, "No ... I'm much bigger."

And he nearly brought the house down when he led the second inning with a 411-foot home run to the grassy knoll beyond the center field wall to tie the game, 1-1, and the house nearly toppled with his game-winner.

This, after missing 29 days with a strained left quadriceps and returning Tuesday when the Reds came from 6-1 behind to win, 9-7.

Joe Randa hit a two-run homer, Jason LaRue hit a solo homer, Adam Dunn and pinch-hitter Jacob Cruz hit back-to-back homers as the Reds scrambled from five runs down to the tie that put Pena in the spotlight on his night.

"The night was scripted very well for Wily Mo," said manager Dave Miley. "He does things like that and that's definitely what he is capable of doing."

Fortunately it wasn't Eric Milton Bobblehead Night because the Great American Ball Park grass would have been littered with them, mostly with the heads broken off.

He tempted fate by walking the first batter in the fifth. Pitcher Doug Wachter bunted in front of the plate and catcher Jason LaRue foolishly tried to get the runner at second. His throw skipped in the dirt and both runners were safe.

Carl Crawford doubled for a run and Julio Lugo beat an infield single to fill the bases.

Milton gives up home runs in his sleep, in his dreams and in his worst nightmares and the one to Perez on a 2-and-0 church offering was the 22nd off Milton in 70 innings.

Before the game, former Reds manager Lou Piniella, now piecing together lineups for the Devil Rays, sat in the dugout and said, "I like the ballpark, but the ball sure carries here. I don't blame hitters coming in here and overswinging and thinking home run. You can leave a series with two or three homers in your pocket."

So prophetic of Lou, who left with the sting of two straight defeats in games he knows his team should have won if his bullpen was populated by human batting practice machines.

When all the home runs but one had been launched, Ryan Freel started the ninth with a walk with the Reds down, 9-8. Then Randa walked ... two outs, none on.

Brightness turned to darkness when Sean Casey grounded into a double play.

The lights came on with Griffey's game-tying single and Pena's blast into the left-field seats. And what did Piniella have to say afterward? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He wasn't talking.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I also thought this line by Hal was just a classic:

"Fortunately it wasn't Eric Milton Bobblehead Night because the Great American Ball Park grass would have been littered with them, mostly with the heads broken off".

The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I did too CRF, hilarious quote.

Again, Wily Mo showing his determination. This is the kind of guy you make apart of your core. I am not trying to dog on Austin Kearns but I think it comes down to what I have mentioned before. Wily Mo appreciates this chance to play and he strives to get better so he can keep playing. I think Austin takes his baseball talent for granted. We know he came to camp with some extra weight and rarely have I heard about him taking extra BP with Chambliss or whatever. I think Kearns just expects baseball to come naturally to him.

MLB ERA
    Yeah... and I was extremely excited with Kearns a few years ago when he came up. I knew he had a lot of natural talent, and before the injury, he looked like he was going to be very special(and him being from Lexington just made me like him even more). But then Ray King happened, and Kearns hasn't been the same sense. He hasn't seemed to work hard since then and he seemed to think he had already earned the RF job. I still hope he can get things together and have the career we were hoping/thinking he would, but Pena has definitely pushed past him on the team's depth chart as far as who to keep around. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Pena in the RIGHT deal, but he now brings more value than Kearns.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think since Kearns is the local boy and has the prestige of being a 1st round pick, he expects that kind of treatment. I really hope he starts to wake up and show us that .300+ BA/good eye at the plate we expect from him.

MLB ERA
    That would not only help the team, but it could help us(unless O'Brien remains the GM ) get more value for him in a potential trade.

Typical "mistake" by an old man writer:

<<When all the home runs but one had been launched, Ryan Freel started the ninth with a walk with the Reds down, 9-8. Then Randa walked ... two outs, none on.>>

Gee Hal I think it was two on, none out...

Sure would be nice to hear such stories about Austin Kearns working out. If Kearns had Pena's work ethic he wouldn't be wallowing on the bench right now.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Typical "mistake" by an old man writer:

<<When all the home runs but one had been launched, Ryan Freel started the ninth with a walk with the Reds down, 9-8. Then Randa walked ... two outs, none on.>>

Gee Hal I think it was two on, none out...
    It's the editor's responsibility to fix mistakes like that. Being that Hal doesn't see particularly well, he probably typed it wrong and didn't even notice it.

That line from Hal was classic about the Milton bobblehead.lol
    I think we need to trade Kearns while we can,we all saw lastnight who the new outfielder should be.Kearns is getting fat and not contributing,dont get me wrong,I have been a huge Kearns supporter but Wily Mo can flat out hit.This guy could become a legend here oneday with the power he has,its sick how hard this guy hits the ball.Too bad Jim Bowden didnt have the eye for pitching like he had for heavy hitters.
    P.S.Whats the deal with Redszone,i was going to post a few comments but I couldnt post,i emailed them and i get this long reply about the history of the site and the selection process they go through.I say to hell with them if they dont want me to post.

AA ERA
    i love how Wily mo feels that he needs to go improve him self after a 2 HR night and the game winning blast. He seems dedicated now. I think he has matured.. if you had those guns you'd think he wouldnt need to get them bigger but Wily Mo feels he should be better... i love thsis kid. * calls a cloning business* we need 25 replicas of Wily Mo Pena ASAP!

I know that "at his current pace" are the dirtiest 4 words in baseball, but i had to post this, it's just too awsome.

If Wily Mo had played regularly this season, "at his current pace" he would have 31 HRs and 63 RBI so far.

A full season at this pace would yield 86 HRs and 173 RBI

Back in reality, baring injury (knock knock) I think Wily can still get to 50 this year and knock in over 100. He's having a great year in any case and seems to just be getting better.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Pena's only fault is that he could work on his OBP, because I don't think he'll be BA-driven at quite the high level he is at right now. He's been insane so far though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wily Mo will never be the high OBP kind of guy but he has improved and hopefully he'll continue to. We often see the count at 2-2, 3-2, etc (with often having fouled off a few as well) before he gets the pitch he crushes. Wasn't too long ago that Wily saw much past the 3rd or 4th pitch.

Yeah I love his work ethic and that's likely how he's improved so much but seriously he doesn't have to build more muscle. A higher OBP as mentioned previously and other baseball related drills would probably help more but I'm not complaining. His improvement is almost unheard of. I just don't want him to get too bulked up and lose flexibility ala Rueben Sierra and Jose Canseco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast