Thread: Arroyo being scouted by Phillies

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Phillies Arroyo being scouted by Phillies

Per C Trent:

Good day for Bronson Arroyo to bounce back. I've been told that the Phillies may have been scouting Arroyo in Cleveland and the Reds had people in Texas watching Philadelphia.
    I've been told the Reds front-office brass will be having a powwow soon and that could be to determine just what the team wants to get rid of and what they want in return.
    The next week or so could be pretty interesting.
    The Phillies are starved for any type of starting pitching, Although Brett Myers has been bad for them this year, I'm not sure Arroyo has been any better.
    We have scouts watching the Phillies as well, I bet Jocketty and Gillick have been on the phone and perhaps they are exchanging names. I wonder if we have any scouts looking at their minor league affiliates. Joe Savery sounds real good right now. He was one of the many good arms out of Rice University the past few years. He is the Phils 3rd best prospect and if we are thinking that we don't want to get rid of Arroyo for nothing, Savery might be had.

Kyle Drabek is another interest of mine as well. JA Happ doesn't look bad either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Arroyo being scouted by Phillies

I find it extremely hard to believe that the Phillies want Arroyo for a playoff push.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

They likely favor guys like Bedard or Sabathia, but definitely do not have the means for a return on a guy like that. Arroyo fits the mold for what they can offer in return.

And to be honest, the Reds wouldn't be asking for much in return as Arroyo would be more of a salary dump.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

I can see the Phillies being interested in Arroyo but not giving anything significant for him prospect wise.... it would be a salary dump deal in my mind.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes but why would the Phillies want your salary dump. There are plenty other better pitchers who will be available other than Arroyo. Better and cheaper is out there. Give me one reason why the Phillies would take him and I'm all ears but so far there isn;t one.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

LTR has a point. They just sent Myers packing and he had a +5.00 ERA. Arroyo has worse numbers and we expect them to go after him? Valid point LTR. I wonder why the scouts were there for him though. Perhaps they are looking for his mechanic problems and are seeing if they know how to fix him? Looking for worse case scenario options?

Also good point by Doro as well. He is a dump case so we wouldn't be looking at much of a return at all considering how expensive he is.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Who is to say they were looking at Arroyo. The article says he MAY be looking at Arroyo. My money is on someone else.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Like who?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They could have been looking at Edwin Encarnacion, Cueto, Freel, Weathers or Affeldt who can start.

MLB ERA

If the Phillies are stupid enough to take all of Arroyo's salary, then don't worry about what you can get in return. You make the trade before their GM sobers up. That contract was a horrible signing, and Jocketty is probably doing everything he can to get rid of it.