Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds are competing for Dominican superstud prospect Inoa

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

Re: Reds are competing for Dominican superstud prospect Inoa

I would rather take a chance on this kid by spending the money than most the people that will earn more money via the ammy draft.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Exactly Doro, and like mission pointed out he is a much better risk than a guy like Stanton was.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

the Reds are among the teams in the running to sign Michael Inoa, a 16-year-old Dominican right-hander.
    Reds scouting director Chris Buckley expects Inoa to get more than the $2 million Juan Duran, the 16-year-old outfielder the Reds signed, received. Inoa is 6 feet 7, 210 pounds and throws 93 mph. He can't be signed until July 2.

"We've scouted him thoroughly," Buckley said. "He's very talented. He compares favorably to the top players over here. Will we get him? I don't know. But if we don't, it won't be from lack of effort or commitment on the part of ownership."
    One thing working in the Reds' favor - from a budgeting standpoint - is they did not have a second-round draft pick, so they didn't have to spend that bonus money.
    The Oakland A's, according to Baseball America, are willing to go to $4 million to sign Inoa.
    Sounds like they are pursuing him pretty hard. It is all up to Inoa now. Dude has a HUGE decision on his hands. Hopefully someone is out there buttering him up like the A's are said to be doing.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

here's a scouting report that also says he's expected to sign with the A's

Scouting Report: Michel Inoa | SaberScouting

As mentioned in the last article, 16 year old Dominican right-hander Michel Inoa is expected to sign with the Oakland A’s for a bonus between $4.25 million and $4.50 million as the headliner of the international signing period that starts on July 2nd.
    Since I know anyone that’s reading this site desperately wants a breakdown on the 20-80 scale for Inoa, I’ll do the irresponsible thing and throw you a bone. I won’t be so foolish as to come up with an OFP, since Latin prospects have a completely different scale, just like the draft amateurs and professional players do, but these 20-80 grades come after consulting a few sources, so it’s pretty close to the stuff on a team’s scouting report.

Fastball: 55/70
    Curveball: 50/60
    Splitter: 50/60
    Command: 45/60
    Hopefully, it will also be settled on Wednesday for sure.

Here is the previous article that speculates the A's have won him:

International Signing Period News & Notes | SaberScouting

SaberScouting.com has learned that the Oakland A’s are willing to go over $4 million to sign Inoa and are the heavy favorites to sign him, for a record bonus as high as $4.5 million.

The other teams in the running haven’t shown the consistent interest the A’s have, including multiple visits from Billy Beane, and most teams aren’t willing to break the $4 million barrier.

In an environment where you have to pay a competitive bonus and “recruit” the player like a high school football star, teams that are called heavy favorites late in the process almost always close the deal.
    Nothing is guaranteed in baseball, but this guy is worth the risk IMHO.

and for anyone who says the A's won't spend...they already have.

The poster child for this increase in Latin spending is the Oakland A’s. They have already spent $350,000 on toolsy 17 year old Dominican OF Robin Rosario, signed another prospect for $100,000, have added a few lesser profile players, and are prepared to offer over $4 million to Inoa, the headliner for a July 2nd rush that could include more top talent. Oakland has already spent, before July 2nd, an amount that exceeds their last three years’ Latin bonuses combined.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Per John Fay:

It's never over till it's over, but the Baseball America is reporting that Michael Inoa, the 16-year-old Dominican pitching prospect, has signed with Oakland for $4.2 million.

MLB ERA

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

It is sounding pretty sure that you guys landed him. Congratulations. This is going to be huge if it all woks out.

MLB ERA

there are no guarantees, but at least he'll be ours if he does pan out...anything can happen, but from everything I've read so far he seems like the real deal.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep he does. At best the next Liriano. At worst he amounts to nothing. But I commend the A's brass in putting money into someone and not having to use Beane's genius for once.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Apparently BCast offered Inoa a 5 million dollar contract. But he declined because he was scared of the lack of good development in our system. He knew the A's have had success.

I am not sure where this story developed from and I am still looking for it. But this says a lot. Hopefully Castelinni is listening. He has to look from the top as well. Keep Browning and get rid of as many other as possible. Perhaps put Soto in at Louisville in Power's spot and then Brantley in Pole's spot?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Also, if BCast is forking out that kind of money for Inoa, perhaps money is available for the offseason?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Apparently BCast offered Inoa a 5 million dollar contract. But he declined because he was scared of the lack of good development in our system. He knew the A's have had success.

I am not sure where this story developed from and I am still looking for it. But this says a lot. Hopefully Castelinni is listening. He has to look from the top as well. Keep Browning and get rid of as many other as possible. Perhaps put Soto in at Louisville in Power's spot and then Brantley in Pole's spot?
    you mean this story?

ESPN - Inoa agrees to $4.25M signing bonus, minor league deal with A's - MLB

"After careful thought, my parents and I decided that Oakland has a better pitcher development program, and that will be more important for my career in the long haul," said Inoa on Tuesday.
    and

Edgar Mercedes, president of the Born to Play baseball academy where Inoa played since he was 12, said the A's made all the right moves to sign Inoa.

"I think the personal treatment that Beane put into this was the determining factor so that Inoa's parents opted to stay with Oakland even though there were higher offers," he said.

Inoa was visibly thrilled when he spoke at the news conference on Wednesday.

"I feel very, very happy because my dream to turn into a professional player has become reality," Inoa said.
    Beane's the magic touch...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Thanks Provi, I was looking everywhere for this. This confirms it then. We still wouldn't have landed him if Inoa went after the best offer. Texas offered 5.2 million. Must be nice to have a system concentrated on player development.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't think it was that so much, a factor but not the main reason (system history.) Beane wanted him, Beane did what other GM's wouldn't and made a personal connection to him and the family and that is VERY important to cultures like Inoa's. Money didn't matter as much when they knew they could trust Beane to want the best for Inoa and give him the attention and care he needs to be a star.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I don't think it was that so much, a factor but not the main reason (system history.) Beane wanted him, Beane did what other GM's wouldn't and made a personal connection to him and the family and that is VERY important to cultures like Inoa's. Money didn't matter as much when they knew they could trust Beane to want the best for Inoa and give him the attention and care he needs to be a star.
    exactly...that's why I quoted that part, too. Just about everyone in the organization had been down there to talk to this kid and Beane made every effort to get to know him and his family.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast