Piniella tosses bad memories
But he fondly recalls '90 champs

By Kevin Kelly
Enquirer staff writer

To celebrate Lou Piniella's return this week, the Reds considered doing something special for their former manager.

"They wanted to have a bobblehead doll night of me throwing a base," the Devil Rays manager said Tuesday at Great American Ball Park. "I didn't want any part of that.

"It's something that I'm not really proud of. I try to say that's in the past. We'll leave it buried there."

On a much happier note, this season marks the 15th anniversary of the 1990 Reds team that won the World Series led by Piniella as its manager.

"I had some good players here," said Piniella, who compiled a 255-231 record with the Reds from 1990-92. "They were fun guys to manage.

"When you look at players that you managed, you want it for them to be competitive and have the experience of winning. These kids had it. It was fun for me. I enjoyed my three years here."

Now in his third season managing the last-place Devil Rays, and 43rd year overall in professional baseball, Piniella said age has calmed a legendary fiery nature.

"I still have a passion for baseball," Piniella said. "Obviously I wouldn't be putting this uniform on if I didn't. I still enjoy winning. Wins are hard to get here at times, but we're trying. Nobody is giving up. We've got to continue to do battle and get better."
Click here for more Reds notes