Thread: Casey on Graves: "His track record says he is going to do great for them(Mets)"

MLB ERA

Casey on Graves: "His track record says he is going to do great for them(Mets)"

Graves bound for New York

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

Sean Casey talked to former teammate Danny Graves on his cellphone Tuesday and Graves told him he was going to sign with the New York Mets.

"It was pretty humbling for him for about a week and he sat around and thought about what happened to him in Cincinnati," Casey said. "But he has the itch again and I'm excited for him. He is being given a fresh start and that's a great pick-up for the Mets. His track record says he is going to do great for them."

Graves, the Reds all-time saves leader, worked out for the Mets on Tuesday.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I like Sean as much as anyone, but his defense of so many players that don't deserve it is just ridiculous.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

His track record is he'll suck as he has here for the past 4 years.

If Graves ever turns it around it'll take an entire off season to do it and he'll have to look like he did at the turn of the century...he'll need to lose about 30 lbs and really look like he's been working rather than getting tatoos.

I'd love to see an article on him talking about this complete with a picture of him in 1999 side by side with a current one. I think that would explain his troubles. Ditto this for Austin Kearns

Just being the conspiracy theorist here, but I think that players are only different than us in that they make a hell of a lot more money. Having said that players tend to hang around and support those that are like them. Yes, Sean is sporting a .315+ BAVG, but outside of that he's just an average player who could definitely shed some pounds himself. Look at his power numbers. They've continued to drop every year, and this tells me that one of three things applies to him:

- he was doing some steroids or other performance enhancers in the past
    - he had some very fluky years
    - he is way out-of-shape

If I am the GM of the Reds, I tell Sean "either shape up and stop the fraternizing, or ship out". Sean would make a great politician.

MLB ERA
    Sean has been an above average 1B for the Reds. And I wouldn't say his power numbers have dropped "every year". They were up in '99 and last year, when he wasn't dealing with as many injury issues. I don't think there's even a slight chance he was doing steroids.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sean was dealing with a pretty serious shoulder injury around 2003 or so. I believe Dr. K said how he was amazed he was even able to swing with that kind of injury. And who knows how long that effected him and his swing before that. Casey won't hit for power, he just isnt that kind of player. But I think he could still end up with 15 homers this year if he stays injury free. He just was off to a pretty dreadfully slow start.

MLB ERA
    With the power on the team already, I'm not worried about Sean not hitting for a monster amount of power. Not at all.