Thread: Inevitable

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Roster Inevitable

One thing I have found myself to be more interested in than actually watching a baseball game; is the business of baseball itself. I love considering player movements and attempting to predict what will happen in the future. Well, the Reds organization may have a few player moves that may come a bit easier to predict.

Before we get into those inevitable situations I want us all to keep in mind that these things are not set to happen right now. But the future holds too many players for too little positions.

First, there is the third base situation. Last year we may have predicted that Edwin Encarnacion would be our third sacker for a long time to come. But considering his recent struggles and perhaps the constant waiting for him to come into his own taking it's toll on the front office's patience may have sent Jocketty's eyes wandering in a new direction. What are the options?

Edwin Encarnacion
    Jeff Keppinger (would rather see him play SS)
    Todd Frazier (best suited for the job)
    Juan Francisco (could be a dark horse)
    Yonder Alonso (better suited for 1B)
    Brandon Waring (long shot, but still worth looking into)

There are many options to explore and the thought may be to get rid of Edwin before he gets too expensive to move. That list gives them quite a few in house replacements. With Jocketty's ability to pull off a trade that is beneficial to his club, things seem to look promising that Edwin Encarnacion will not be on the roster in 2009.

Next stop; first base. Are we all comfortable with Dunn in LF and Votto at 1B? I'd say we are and we would be content with their sticking around for a while. This situation is much harder to predict. The only thing we know for sure is that Dunn, Votto, and Alonso cannot play on the same field together unless Alonso goes to 3B. Alonso is said to have little mobility and it may not be wise to try him out at the hot corner. I believe that it is definitely not in the plans whatsoever. So what do they do? Of course they trade someone, but who? Will it be Dunn, Votto, or Alonso?

My prediction is that they will wait it out. Jocketty's experience has taught him that there is no such thing as a sure thing and there would be no reason to deal Dunn or Votto because Alonso would be breathing down their neck. Add Todd Frazier as a possible LF candidate and it just makes things tougher. That is why I suggested that he take over at 3B. In any case, I think Dunn is safe for now. However, I don't think they will sign him long-term. I predict they will offer him a one year contract and see if he bites. If he wants to stay in Cincinnati bad enough, he will take it. If not, he can go make large money on the free agent market. If they can sign him to a one year contract, they could have time to figure out if Alonso can adjust his way up the minor league ladder. If he kills the ball in the minors, then we may see more of a clear picture as to what will happen with this abundance.

So what do we have with all of this? Well, Encarnacion is gone before the 2009 season. Likely traded by the deadline if we keep falling in the standings. Dunn could very likely receive a one year offer and that could go either way. It all depends on if he wants to stay in Cincinnati or not. Our 2009 lineup could look like this by the All-Star break.

CF Stubbs
    SS Keppinger
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    LF Votto
    1B Alonso
    3B Frazier
    C Jocketty acquisition
    P Volquez

I am cool with that. If that lineup is in tact, we would have gotten some pretty decent returns for EdE and Dunn. Imagine the upgrade on the pitching and at catcher.

AAA ERA

Re: Inevitable

I would be very pleased with this lineup for next year. We could for sure get good returns for Edwin and Dunn. I'm sure Jocketty could get us a decent catcher as well. Our pitching would for sure upgrade if we dealt away Ede and Dunn.