Thread: Mailbag: Fans hope to keep core

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mailbag: Fans hope to keep core

Mailbag: Fans hope to keep core
    Reds reporter Anthony Castrovince answers fans' questions
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

You've got questions, the Mailbag has insight, kneejerk reactions and guesswork. It's a quite a nice relationship we've got here, isn't it?

Lots of questions to go over in this installment, so I'll forego the witty intro (as if the intros were ever all that witty to begin with) and get right into it...

Do you think Wily Mo Pena has the starting right field job when he comes back from the DL? I've always been a huge Austin Kearns fan, and for the longest time had faith in him after his stellar rookie season. However, he just hasn't been able to string together four or five solid at-bats, let alone games. -- Troy H., Troy, Ohio

Kearns has had every opportunity to get it together at the plate in Pena's absence, to little or no avail. So I don't see why a healthy Wily Mo shouldn't find himself in the regular lineup upon his return.

That return should come shortly, though it might take Pena some time to get his rhythm back at the plate. I believe Reagan was in office around the time Wily Mo went down with what, at the time, seemed like a minor strain of the left quad muscle.

Is Adam Dunn single? -- Brigette L., Chicago

Dunn's personal life is none of my business, though I know he did lose his true love when Dave Miley had his massage chair removed from the clubhouse.

Jason LaRue seems to be popular with fans, especially with the girls. With his likability, you would think there would be more merchandise with his name on it. Do you know of anywhere I can get a Cincinnati jersey with his name and number on it? -- Derick W., Webb City, Mo.

Head to shop.mlb.com, where you can buy customized jerseys of any Reds player. Unfortunately, they don't sell authentic jerseys of Reds beat writers, so don't bother looking for my name.

Tom Shearn is down at Triple-A Louisville and has been very solid and at times spectacular. I've seen him even get a couple of starts, but he has been much more successful in relief. Don't you think he could provide a great lift to the big club's bullpen? He was on the steady rise through the Astros system until an injury derailed him. When will we see him in Great American? -- Derek W., Columbus, Ohio

I'm at the point where I would expect just about anybody performing well in Louisville to have a chance at joining the big league club this season. And Shearn has been putting up decent numbers (3-3 with a 4.53 ERA in 16 appearances, including seven starts, as of this writing).

Shearn's biggest hurdle is the fact that he's not on the 40-man roster, and getting him up to the Reds requires some juggling. Still, with the number of injuries and the general pitching ineffectiveness the Reds have endured this season, it seems to me that he might be worth a look.

Spin Doctors, huh? I saw them when I was in college 100 years ago! It was probably the worst concert ever. ... Any new news on Pete Rose getting reinstated? -- Derek K., Carlisle, Pa.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what happened to the Spin Doctors. As for Rose, given the poor way he's handled trying to get reinstated, I think you'd have better chances of seeing the Spin Doctors inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame.

(I'd like to take a second to point out that I just answered consecutive questions from a Derick and two Dereks. That must be some kind of indoor record.)

Any chance the Reds could trade Aaron Harang and get a good young pitching prospect out of him while he is hot? We don't need another Paul Wilson or Jimmy Haynes, and I feel that Harang is probably on the same track as those two. Why not try to get a quality young pitcher while he is hot and we are out of the race? -- Josh M., Hilliard, Ohio

Harang is only in his second full season in the big leagues, and he's been stellar for the better part of the year. Writing him off now, as you just did, seems kind of strange to me.

With all the speculation of the recent roster moves and trade rumors, will the Reds make a major trade? Possibly involving Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns? I hope not! -- Brandon G., Portsmouth, Ohio

Something should give and will give here. I think John Allen's unexpected visit to the clubhouse before Sunday's game in Denver showed that the higher-ups mean business when they say this team isn't performing at an acceptable level.

No trade would shock me, given the way things have progressed this year. The only shock would be inaction, but I don't think that will be the case.

Now, the question is what kind of trade do we expect? One involving Dunn doesn't seem as likely to me as one involving a guy like Joe Randa, who's playing on a one-year contract and whose veteran leadership could be an asset to a contender.

Are you allowed to trade a player for a draft choice? -- James W., Cincinnati

Nope, and that's been one of the criticisms of Major League Baseball's draft system. Teams with high picks sometimes must go with a player who will be affordable, rather than the best player available, because they really have no other option.

How can I become an MLB player (a Reds player). I'm from Europe and here nobody loves baseball, and it's very hard. I need to know if I have a chance. -- Adrian B., Bucharest, Romania

If you can pitch, I think the Reds would be happy to have you on the next flight out of Bucharest, Adrian.
    Click here for plenty more Q and A

MLB ERA
    Any chance the Reds could trade Aaron Harang and get a good young pitching prospect out of him while he is hot? We don't need another Paul Wilson or Jimmy Haynes, and I feel that Harang is probably on the same track as those two. Why not try to get a quality young pitcher while he is hot and we are out of the race? -- Josh M., Hilliard, Ohio
    .................................................. ...........................................

I can't believe I had to read THAT.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Good call CRF. What is that guy smoking??? Harang in no way classifies as Wilson/Haynes. He has always had this talent he is just figuring out how to pitch. Its not like hes getting lucky like Haynes or Wilson. Unbelievable. Good article overall though.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I have no problems with the writer's Q & A, I just have a problem with that question asked by that guy.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.