Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Yonder Alonso!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Prospect Welcome Yonder Alonso!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLrzcRz_Qo"]
    Code:

[/URL]YouTube - Yonder Alonso[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLrzcRz_Qo"]
    [/ame]

I like the pick quite a bit fellas. Many would rather have seen us take Gordon Beckham, but I think Alonso is the better hitter. Dude works out with ARod and could be a really good bat for us in a few years.

The question is, with us having Joey Votto at 1B, one of them will have to move positions when he comes up. The options would be to get rid of Dunn and send one of them to LF. Or trade one of Alonso or Votto later on.

Welcome Yonder Alonso to the Cincinnati Reds system.

Re: Welcome Yonder Alonso!

Always nice when we draft guys that work hard. They always seem to progress much faster.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Bad new though. Yonder= left handed bat. Not good.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

There is such a change over in teams and players in this day and age I don't believe you should base your draft choices off of your current needs. Most prospects take atleast 2-3 years before they are ready for the majors. I saw pick the best talent available, who cares if hes a lefty.

However, I would have probably rather had a pitcher selected like Crow or a SS like Beckham. Beckham would have given the reds a lot more options position wise to throw him in at in the future. If you can play SS you have the skills and talent to basically learn any position. SS, 2B, 3B, or Outfield.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I don't dislike the pick because he is a lefty, but I was just pointing out some of the possible bad points down the road. I think they took the best talent as well and I feel he has more of an upside than Beckham.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

We now have something of too much depth it seems. What I mean can be explained below:

1B: Dunn, Votto, Alonso
    LF: Dunn, Votto, Frazier
    3B: EdE,Frazier

I just don't see where it is possible for us to have Alonso, Dunn, and Votto on the same team. My mentioning of how it is a bummer that Alonso is a lefty is mere acknowledgement that it is another reason why he doesn't fit with what we have now.

Again,I am happy that we signed the best available player and am glad they are not looking at fixing our holes through the draft.

Roster 2009:

C Mesoraco (called up late in the season)
    1B Alonso/Votto
    2B Phillips
    3B EdE/Frazier/Francisco/Waring
    SS Keppinger/Janish
    LF Dunn/Votto/Frazier/Dorn
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce

AAA ERA

i didn't understand drafting a 1B... and a LH 1B that is even worse.. plus its not like he is HS kid who is 4 or 5 years away..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yonder is playing for Miami right now on ESPN. Game is just about to start, check it out!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

1st AB, he struck out on a check swing.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He may be hurt a bit now, he took a short hop to the nose just now. Hopefully he can get through this game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

He just had a shot hit at him. He kept his glove down, but really jerked his head up. Thankfully he got his glove on it. But I wonder if he is favoring that nose right now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Game 3 Super Regionals:

1st inning; Alonso just hit a monster opposite field HR. 3-0 Miami. He hit a 3-run shot last night as well. Dude can rake.

Check him out on ESPN 2 right now. This is the elimination game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

By the way, Reds draftee Enrique Garcia is starting for Miami as well. He allowed one run in the first inning. From what I can see, he has a high 80s fastball. A splitter as well. Thats about it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Negotiations have begun with Alonso, the first baseman from Miami who just returned home from the College World Series.
    "He's ready to go," Buckley said. "His agent is doing his deal. So much of these contracts are about future recruitment next year. That's what sells players on agents. Scott Boras has done so much to get players deals. Other agents use his tactics. Yonder was the seventh pick in the draft. I feel very strongly that we'll sign him.
    "He just got back from the World Series. Rest isn't a bad thing for him right now."
    It would be good to get this behind them. I sure hope he does sign with us and they find the right deal.

MLB ERA

There are a couple of things I didn't understand about the Alonso pick. With Votto just starting out at first, Alonso would be blocked, as he's supposed to be quick-riser. Moving a first baseman to left field is a recipe for doubles. Additionally, I don't quite think he's even a better prospect than Justin Smoak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast