Thread: Votto working on throws

MLB ERA

Player Votto working on throws

The Official Site of The Cincinnati Reds: News: Votto works through throwing errors

Joey Votto, the young slugging stud of the Cincinnati Reds has become a fan favorite. The only thing he hasn't done well is make the simple toss on grounders to first base. Twice in the past week, he's made errors on simple tosses, one of which set up Adrian Gonzalez's walk off HR in extra innings. Votto says he is working on fixing this, which is very encouraging to me. As a young player, you have more of an opportunity to fix your flaws than if you allow them to linger. Votto also seems to recognize the problems that this can cause. Votto seems to have his head on straight, and I believe that the (most likely mechanical) flaws that have made 2 of his 7 errors on throws from first base will soon disappear. Hopefully he can fix this, and become the stud 1B that we all know he can be.

Re: Votto working on throws

Maybe it is just me but I swear he has to make more of those throws than any first baseman that I have ever seen. The whole year it has seemed that way.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Interesting. I haven't watched enough of the Reds to say that, but I don't think it's about the number of times he has had to make the play, it's about making that play every time...regardless of how many times he has to make it. I know that's a bit overboard, but you want to see a 1B make a simple toss...and Joey seems to recognize that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I noticed it before the errors even started coming. He has a real hard time with the underhand lobs. He puts far too much arc on it. I think he is trying to ease it up there for the pitcher. But it makes it difficult to catch most of the time. He has to throw that ball in a straight line.