View Poll Results: Volquez being used on Sunday, should it have happened?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let him pitch.

6 75.00%
  • Tell him to ride the pine.

2 25.00%

Thread: Was it wrong to pitch Volquez on such short rest on Sunday?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Was it wrong to pitch Volquez on such short rest on Sunday?

They talked about this on the broadcast last night, how both Harang and Volquez came to Baker volunteering to pitch. Now with Harang I don't think there was quick as much of an issue there as he is a big guy who can throw a lot of innings and is very durable, a veteran, etc. But with Volquez, who obviously wasn't throwing 100% after pitching on Friday, should Dusty have told him to sit back down and be willing to possibly give the game up by eventually putting a position player out there?

We don't know if this will have any long-term mental effect on Volquez (I don't think it will given his presence) but do you think he should have been used at all?

PROUD CEO: Reds CEO Bob Castellini hates to lose but he was happy with the way his club tried to win the 18-inning game in the San Diego.

"I liked Sunday's game," Castellini said. "These guys played hard and banded together."

Baker thought the same thing.

"I'm proud of this team," Baker said. "Guys volunteering."

Starting pitchers don't wear spikes on the days they don't pitch. Baker could tell the club wanted to win by their shoes.

"(Bronson) Arroyo had his shoes on," Baker said. "I looked over and (Aaron) Harang had his shoes on. He was ready to pitch. I said, 'I hope we don't go too much longer.' Then (Edinson) Volquez showed up with his shoes on. He's like, 'I'm ready, skip.' Ready for what? You pitched so-and-so days ago. He said it was his throw day anyway. I looked over and (Johnny) Cueto had his shoes on.

"It shows how much they want to win and this team is coming together."

"I asked Volquez why he wanted to go out there," Baker said. "He said, 'I'm tired of losing.' "
    The Enquirer - Reds notebook

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Was it wrong to pitch Volquez on such short rest on Sunday?

should Dusty have told him to sit back down and be willing to possibly give the game up by eventually putting a position player out there?
    Wouldn't he have received a ton of scrutiny for that? Seems like a lot of fans think he's already the worst manager ever, that would have only strengthened their position on him?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

If Dusty would have managed that game a lot better, he wouldn't have had to put him in. But when it came down to Volquez or Cueto, I would have went Cueto since he was already on 4 days rest. I think it was one of a long list of bad moves Dusty made that night.

I really hope Volquez can come in strong, but I would have him on a pitch count for sure.

Ultimately, I may have called up a fresh arm from AAA just to spot start a game to get things closer to normal.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cueto has been struggling, Volquez has been rolling.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AAA ERA

yeah he wanted to pitch.. you were saving Cueto.. he has pitched better.. and honestly i think the end result was a learning experiance.. in interviews after he said he shook off the sign so he could throw his Change up.. which everyone including myself and Adrian Gonzalez knew was coming.. maybe now he will learn to listen to his catcher more.. i really dont' see the harm..

ultimately the biggest mistake was Baker not planning ahead by having Fogg start the 11th instead of Bray.. that is a situation where you just cant sit on a 2 run lead.. you need Fogg for the possibility of long relief