Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2005 Reds Draft Discussion

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You guys should really check out the scouting vid of Bruce, he's got a nice solid swing on him and I could really see him developing into something special.

And if anyone see's the logic of the Wood pick (IE Reynolds/O'Brien quote) please post it. Thanks

MLB ERA
    I'll look for quotes a bit later. Where's the vid. at though?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

It's at the bottom of the page towards the rightside under his mini scouting report.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well here is the Wood quote per Reynolds:

"His second-best pitch is a changeup, and it's a real good one," Reynolds said. "He has work to do on his breaking ball. If that comes, you'll have a pitcher with two plus pitches and one average pitch who's left-handed."

MLB ERA
    Wow, I really like his swing. I like how he seems to have the ability to hit the ball to all fields. He has a nice looking swing that looks like several current MLB player's swings.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. He seems to have good bat speed and no major holes in his swing. He looked pretty professional in the way he handled himself considering his age. I could see him working through the system pretty fast and be up here in 3 years.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Well here is the Wood quote per Reynolds:

"His second-best pitch is a changeup, and it's a real good one," Reynolds said. "He has work to do on his breaking ball. If that comes, you'll have a pitcher with two plus pitches and one average pitch who's left-handed."
    The way he describes it makes him almost sound like a LH Reitsma, except Reitsma's change was his best pitch when it was on. That might not be an accurate description since I haven't seen him live, but it almost sounds that way to me.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I know what you mean. He seems to have good bat speed and no major holes in his swing. He looked pretty professional in the way he handled himself considering his age. I could see him working through the system pretty fast and be up here in 3 years.
    If that video is a good gauge for him, I could see him being a decent contact AND power hitter. He seems to be the type able to "dig" pitches out of the ground, although that's not always a good thing. Something about him looked a LITTLE bit like Guillen in a way.

Baseball America says he has the 2nd best plate discipline in the draft=high OBP hitter. That's where the Edmonds comparisons come from.

Plus the kid says he wanst to sign quick, says he loves the Reds and that he wants to bring back the Big Red Machine.

Alot of our best players/prospects are from Texas

Adam Dunn
    Ryan Wagner
    Jason LaRue
    Jay Bruce
    Homer Bailey
    BJ Szymanski
    Matt Belisle

MLB ERA
    Yup, and discipline is the thing that would have been tough to see from that video. Good to see he has that going for him too. I'm liking that pick. If only I could say the same about most of the others.

Zach Ward is a stud too. I was reading on BA a little while ago that he was considered a late first round/early 2nd round talent.

I also like the 2nd baseman from Coastal Carolina. The brother of David DeJesus. His stats show him having like a 49 BB/to 38 K ratio and a .470 OBP.

And its too early to judge the two HS shortstops.

Loo will be a D&F

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234