Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Reds Draft Discussion

MLB ERA
    But he throws left handed that ups a kids value by at least a rd if not more in itself LOL.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Digging the pick of Ward:

4. ZACH WARD, rhp (National rank: 117)
    School: Gardner-Webb.
    Hometown: Kannapolis, N.C.
    B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 235. Birthdate: Jan. 14, 1984.
    Previously Drafted: Never.
    Scouting Report: Ward was unheralded out of high school and began to emerge as a prospect while pitching in American Legion ball the summer after his freshman year in college. Ward first attracted attention for his slider, but he has since earned attention and outs with two potential plus pitches. His fastball reaches the low 90s with good sink, and his breaking ball has morphed from his high school slider to a power curveball. Add in a show-me change, and Ward has a chance to throw three pitches for strikes from a durable, innings-eating body. He was dominant in the Cape Cod League last summer, striking out 57 in 43 innings, yet failed to dominate the Atlantic Sun Conference this spring. Ward was used heavily (five of his 15 starts were complete games) and at times lacked command of his fastball, leading to 49 walks in 109 innings and 19 wild pitches. He has a short-arm delivery reminiscent of the late Darryl Kile, and some scouts think it will lead to an arm injury unless Ward moves to the bullpen, where he could concentrate on his fastball and curve.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds go prep route again in draft

Reds go prep route again in draft
    Texas high school outfielder selected No. 12 overall
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Pitching is a priority for the Reds in the first-year player draft, but the team couldn't pass up on what it deemed to be a five-tool outfielder.

The Reds made center fielder Jay Bruce from West Brook High School in Beaumont, Texas, the 12th overall pick in the draft. It marks the first time the Reds have taken a position player with their first pick since 2000, when they selected shortstop David Espinosa.

Bruce, a National High School Player of the Year candidate who bats and throws left-handed, hit .538 with 12 home runs, 31 RBIs and 13 stolen bases during his senior season.

"He was the best athlete and best player [available] on the board for us," said Terry Anderson, the Reds' director of amateur scouting. "We had him real high. He's a guy we had targeted going into the day. We're really happy to get him."

Anderson was happy because he said Bruce, 18, has all five tools, meaning he is skilled at hitting for average, hitting for power, baserunning, throwing and fielding.

"[Five-tool players] are kind of rare," Reynolds said. "All five [of Bruce's] tools are average to above. And we're projecting that by the time he's 21, they'll all be above."

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Bruce signed to play at Tulane next year, but he said he is going to forego the college route to begin his professional career.

"I'm definitely signing," he said. "I'm a first-round pick. You can't ask for much more than that."

Bruce is the second high school player drafted by the Reds with their first pick in as many years. Homer Bailey was taken out of LaGrange (Texas) High School in 2004.

"We've got a few Texas guys," Bruce said. "Maybe we can bring the 'Big Red Machine' back."
    Click here for the rest

His scouting video is also on that link, towards the bottom of the page.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We need to draft a position player in round 5, seriously.

So far I am liking the picks of Bruce, Ward and LeCrue. I really do not understand what they see in Wood, maybe in a later round but at round 2? C'mon.

MLB ERA
    I'll believe they are good picks when I see them. With this FO running things, I can't get overly excited yet, although a couple of the picks sound good. It scares me that we seem to have drafted pitchers who could be "injury risks".
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    another OF super! just what we are in need of. again i say we should have went for any SP out there but go figure

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well obviously you can't judge a draft truly till several years after but my initial impressions are above average. We seemed to of snagged a quality position prospect with our first round pick which is nice to see we didnt mess that up. I just cant get over the talent we passed up by picking Wood. And Wood seems to be the biggest injury risk of them all and given his other downfaults it really doesnt seem like they researched him indepthly. Surprise surprise, I know.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    another OF super! just what we are in need of. again i say we should have went for any SP out there but go figure
    A lot think, including myself, that Bruce had the highest ceiling of what was left on the board. I agree the position isn't one we need depth at but Bruce is a long way's away and we can always flip him down the road for a pitcher or another prospect, what ever we need most at the time. Depth is depth, you worry about how to deal with it when the time comes if you are overstocked at one area.

It's really a shame that Clement skyrocketed so much this past month or two. Would of been a huge ceiling player at a position we needed.

MLB ERA
    I would be somewhat scared if I were these pitchers. Chances are, when they get to the Reds, they will "mysteriously" have their velocity drop by 5 or 6 MPH, as has happened to most pitchers on the Reds staff so far this year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Reds take RHP James Avery. Who needs position players?

JAMES AVERY, rhp (National rank: 152)
    School: Niagara.
    Hometown: Moose Jaw, Sask.
    B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 200. Birthdate: June 10, 1984.
    Previously Drafted: Twins 2002 (29)
    Scouting Report: Mike McRae, who has since moved on to Canisius, was the only Division I coach from Canada when he was at Niagara and tapped heavily into his homeland for talent, getting Avery from Saskatchewan. Avery’s fastball has been clocked between 90-94 mph, but he has never approached his full potential because he hasn’t developed a serviceable breaking pitch. He also has been bothered by nagging injuries the last two years. He has a decent split-fingered changeup, but scouts project him as a short reliever because of his limited pitch selection. A loosening of visa restrictions means Avery should have an opportunity to begin his minor league career this summer.

This board has been screwing up for me all day. ANybody else having problems?

ANyway I like the Bruce and Ward picks.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I would be somewhat scared if I were these pitchers. Chances are, when they get to the Reds, they will "mysteriously" have their velocity drop by 5 or 6 MPH, as has happened to most pitchers on the Reds staff so far this year.
    Well, at least we know Dr. K will likely have work to be done in the years down the road.

MLB ERA
    More injury issues.

Also, it initially sounds as though he's one of those pitchers who might never make it as a starter consistently. He sounds like he could be better suited for the pen, just like many seemed to think about Hancock.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn#44
    This board has been screwing up for me all day. ANybody else having problems?

ANyway I like the Bruce and Ward picks.
    Nope, it hasn't screwed up for me when I've been on.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    More injury issues.

Also, it initially sounds as though he's one of those pitchers who might never make it as a starter consistently. He sounds like he could be better suited for the pen, just like many seemed to think about Hancock.
    Ward is a guy I see them trying to stick in the pen and hope he flies through the system. Personally I would leave him starting and see where he goes from there. But so far it seems like the Reds are taking "projects" into the system with some of the picks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast