Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn continues streak of walks

Dunn continues streak of walks
    Peņa likely will return Tuesday

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

DENVER - Adam Dunn walked Sunday in the first inning.

That gives Dunn at least one walk in 11 straight games. That's the longest such streak in the majors this year.

"Thank God for walks or I'd never see first or second base," Dunn said. "But a walk's as good as a hit."

Dunn also got a pair of hits Sunday. As he said, hits haven't been easy for him to come by. He was 2-for-13 on the road trip before Sunday.

But all those walks - he went into Sunday with a National League-leading 44 - have kept his on-base percentage high. His OBP is .408, despite a .242 batting average.

Both of Dunn's hits Sunday were singles. That gives him 16 singles, 11 doubles, two triples and 14 home runs on the year.
    Click here for the rest

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    In that article they mention Chris Booker and his dominant stats at AAA. It's really a shame that our 40 man roster was so poorly planned and a guy like Ramirez has to waste away in the BP instead of starting in AAA and a guy like Booker isn't getting the chance he deserves.

MLB ERA
    Good to see Dunn understands that a walk is as good as a hit. His 45 BB can be counted as 45 extra singles added to his other hits and HR.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I was reading the other day that Dunn holds the Reds team record of walking in something like 13 or 14 straight games.

bullshit. A walk is not as good as a hit because unless the bases are loaded you can't drive in a run with a walk. THINK ABOUT IT. It's simple logic. A walk is not as good as a hit, plain and simple. It can't drive in runs. Why do you think "pithcing around people" happens? If there is a guy on second and first is open and a good hitter is coming to the plate, they pitch around him because a walk is not as good as a hit in that situation. If dunn had actually gotten 45 singles instead of 45 walks he would have driven in a lot more runs and the reds would have won more games.

I can't do it right now, but someone should find his stats with RISP. How many walks did he take then?

I like how good dunn's eye is, and i don't want him to swing at bad pitches (which he still does) and i'm not saying that it's a bad thing that he walks a lot. But a walk is not as good as a hit, and there is no justification for thinking that it is.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

A walk is not an out. In my book a walk is as just as good as a single.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    I can't do it right now, but someone should find his stats with RISP. How many walks did he take then?
    Dunn with RISP:

Code:
    AB      R       H       2B     3B      HR      RBI      TB      BB      SO     SB      CS  	OBP  	SLG  	AVG
    40  	21  	9  	1  	0       3  	14  	19  	18  	15  	1  	1  	.475  	.475  	.225
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

thanks for the stats ghetto. What would be really interesting is to see how many times he scored after those 18 walks. It might actually be better for him to be more agressive in those situations, because if he rarely scoresafter walking with RISP, it would be better for him to risk an out by swining, if it resulted in a few more hits, because clearly it is the hits that knock people in.

AD44, i don't understand how you can miss the logic on this one. Yes a walk is better than an out, but that doesn't mean it's as good as a hit, that just doesn't make sense. I think i'll write my next article on this as it seems to be a very common misconception.
    Reds MVP Race

I can't believe people would rather see Dunn chase bad pitches then take a walk. Holy crap.

It's not Dunn's fault he bats 5th!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Good to see Dunn understands that a walk is as good as a hit. His 45 BB can be counted as 45 extra singles added to his other hits and HR.
    If you're Joe Morgan or Ryan Freel then yes a walk is as good as a hit but not if you're Adam Dunn. His role is to drive in runs and walks, unlike hits, rarely drive in runs, hence the difference.

I'm fine with him getting 100 walks a year and having as high an OBP as possible but I don't buy the line "a walk is as good as a hit". Hits drive in runs, walks pass that responsibility onto the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    I like how good dunn's eye is, and i don't want him to swing at bad pitches (which he still does) and i'm not saying that it's a bad thing that he walks a lot. But a walk is not as good as a hit, and there is no justification for thinking that it is.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm fine with him walking a lot but when he's not walking he needs to do better than .242 and 28 RBIs

AAA ERA
    yeah that OBP would be awesome for a #2 hitter, not a #5 hitter

Again, its not Dunn's fault he bats 5th.

I like OBP from any hitter. Dunns job is to get on base(not make outs). He's doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    If you're Joe Morgan or Ryan Freel then yes a walk is as good as a hit but not if you're Adam Dunn. His role is to drive in runs and walks, unlike hits, rarely drive in runs, hence the difference.

I'm fine with him getting 100 walks a year and having as high an OBP as possible but I don't buy the line "a walk is as good as a hit". Hits drive in runs, walks pass that responsibility onto the next guy.
    the only reason to argue that dunn should walk instead of have an AB with RISP is that he's so bad (.225 BA, .325 rbi/AB with risp, compared to the rest of the reds who average .36 rbi/AB with risp with a .249 BA). It's better just to get to the next guy because he's probably more likely to get the people on base across the plate. Though that hardly seems like an argument for Dunn being one of the best players in the game.

AD44: being aggressive and chasing bad pitches are not the same thing. how many times have you seen dunn take a walk in an at bat where he took at least one fastball down broadway. It happens a lot because he is a really patient hitter, which in some situations is great: like when there is no one on, or when there is a guy on first. But in some situations (like with RISP) it would be better for dunn to try harder to get a hit because it would be more productive. Not all walks are 4 pitch jobs where the pitcher has no control. Sophisticated hitters are able to change their approach as the situation dictates to be as productive as they can be. Even down to shortening there swings with two strikes.
    Reds MVP Race

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn#44
    Again, its not Dunn's fault he bats 5th.

I like OBP from any hitter. Dunns job is to get on base(not make outs). He's doing his job.
    It takes a long time to score runs if everyone is walking. Dunns job is to help the reds win, and winning takes runs. He's not doing his job.
    Reds MVP Race

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast