Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Dunn continues streak of walks

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    We're in agreement that Miley has not used Dunn properly. With his high OBP he needs to hit higher in the order.

By the way, was anyone else miffed that Miley saw fit to move Felipe Lopez down in the order? I thought it was a forgone conclusion that Felipe was a success in the #2 hole but not in the eyes of Miley. In all his wisdom he moves him down to #7 where he goes 0 for 4 with three strike outs. That is exhibit 97 for why Miley is not a good manager and how he is screwing up our young players.
    He's got to go. I'm not even saying on the record that he's a bad manager outright. He's got a track record to the opposite effect. But he's clearly lost the respect of his players on this team, and once that happens it's over, you can't manage them any more, no matter how good you've been in the past.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    With risp he's had 59 PA and has 18 walks.
    with none on he has 129 PA and only 16 walks.
    .................................................. .........................

You might see a different side to this, but those numbers above are the cruz of my argument for him batting higher in the order. He's had more than DOULBE the amount of AB with none on, and two fewer walks despite that fact.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    Because I was curious, I checked out the rbi production by batting order and the average OPS from each spot in the lineup (1 Through 8). The argument has been over whether fifth is not a good rbi spot in the lineup or not. Some have said that batting fifth you won’t see enough pitches to hit, or have enough people on base in front of you to produce, and that that’s why Dunn hasn’t been up to par. This is what it looks like across the majors so far this season:

…RBI..OPS
    1. 23.8 .757
    2. 23.9 .715
    3. 34.3 .820
    4. 37.4 .829
    5. 34.1 .800
    6. 30.9 .789
    7. 25.8 .698
    8. 23.3 .692

It looks pretty much like I thought it might, where the HEART OF THE ORDER (that is 3, 4, 5) is where most of your runs come from. It looks like third and fifth get about the same number of RBI, 4th gets the most (cleanup), and that fifth has a lower OPS than third. The lower OPS makes me think that there are probably a few less pitches to hit in the 5 hole, but as far as this distribution goes, it’s still the 3rd best spot to hit in terms of production, by RBI or OPS. Also, 6th looks pretty good as well. This makes me think even more that Dunn has not produced as well as his OPS might indicate.
    My problem with that is that there are two arguments from those numbers.

A) The middle of the order is the best place for driving in RBIs
    or
    B) The middle of the order has the best hitters

I think that the caliber of the hitters there is a key. If managers had a renaissance and started to hit the best hitter on their team 6th and their worst 2nd, then 6th would rise and 2nd would lower both in OPS and RBI. I am thinking that while batting order does have an impact (especially with Dunn), you must be careful using that type of logic since RBIs do depend somewhat on the player. A player may lose a bunch of RBIs moving from the 4 to the 8 hole, but the quality of the hitter might still let him drive in more guys than most other players.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    Because I was curious, I checked out the rbi production by batting order and the average OPS from each spot in the lineup (1 Through 8). The argument has been over whether fifth is not a good rbi spot in the lineup or not. Some have said that batting fifth you won’t see enough pitches to hit, or have enough people on base in front of you to produce, and that that’s why Dunn hasn’t been up to par. This is what it looks like across the majors so far this season:

…RBI..OPS
    1. 23.8 .757
    2. 23.9 .715
    3. 34.3 .820
    4. 37.4 .829
    5. 34.1 .800
    6. 30.9 .789
    7. 25.8 .698
    8. 23.3 .692

It looks pretty much like I thought it might, where the HEART OF THE ORDER (that is 3, 4, 5) is where most of your runs come from. It looks like third and fifth get about the same number of RBI, 4th gets the most (cleanup), and that fifth has a lower OPS than third. The lower OPS makes me think that there are probably a few less pitches to hit in the 5 hole, but as far as this distribution goes, it’s still the 3rd best spot to hit in terms of production, by RBI or OPS. Also, 6th looks pretty good as well. This makes me think even more that Dunn has not produced as well as his OPS might indicate.

Good post, but it still doesn't take into account the fact that the Reds hitters haven't gotten on as much in front of Dunn, and Dunn is 2nd on the team in AB's leading an inning off. What does the Reds OPS 1-9 look like compared to those ML averages

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    I would like to see some sort of stat showing how many AB's each of our hitters have had with Runners On, what their BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, total RBI's, and total runners LOB.

Quote Originally Posted by bipster
    Good post, but it still doesn't take into account the fact that the Reds hitters haven't gotten on as much in front of Dunn, and Dunn is 2nd on the team in AB's leading an inning off. What does the Reds OPS 1-9 look like compared to those ML averages
    i posted earlier that before yesterday's game dunn and jr both have 59 pa with risp, casey has 61, and kearns has 62, so guys have gotten on in front of dunn as many times as anyone else.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678